Penn or Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigRedDentist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am new to this forum and I was just wondering what everyones choice would be between Columbia and Penn as I have to make the decision pretty soon. I am making a list comparing all the positives and negatives but it really is very close. Eventually I think I would like to do oral surgery. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

BigRedDentist said:
Hey everyone, I am new to this forum and I was just wondering what everyones choice would be between Columbia and Penn as I have to make the decision pretty soon. I am making a list comparing all the positives and negatives but it really is very close. Eventually I think I would like to do oral surgery. Thanks!

It doesn't matter where you go if you wanna do OS. It's not the deadest specialty to apply to at this moment. Either school would probably get you in without much effort.

However, my major concern is the area and school atmosphere. If only Columbia SDOS is next to the undergraduate campus that would have made the decision a lot easier. At my interviews, I also noticed that Columbia students are a lot more stressed than Penn's.
Now I'm leaning 80% towards Penn but my parents are pushing me to Columbia. I doubt I wanna live in true New York fashion for four years, unless I get a hot roommate :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
greenday said:
It doesn't matter where you go if you wanna do OS. It's not the deadest specialty to apply to at this moment. Either school would probably get you in without much effort.

However, my major concern is the area and school atmosphere. If only Columbia SDOS is next to the undergraduate campus that would have made the decision a lot easier. At my interviews, I also noticed that Columbia students are a lot more stressed than Penn's.
Now I'm leaning 80% towards Penn but my parents are pushing me to Columbia. I doubt I wanna live in true New York fashion for four years, unless I get a hot roommate :love:

My parents are basically saying the same thing. I like the feel of Penn's campus a lot more with the undergrads on it. Plus, the vet school is across the street if you really do want a hot roommate.