1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Penn Peds Dilemma

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by needsumhelp, Nov 23, 2005.

1. needsumhelp

needsumhelp New Member

Medical Student
    i have a question regarding something that happened to me at my Penn interview, relatively recently, and I really need some advice. I created this username to protect both myself and the program should there be a lurker or something hereabouts. i am a 500+ poster, and have been around quite a while.

if any of you have interviewed at Penn, you know that they have an interesting arrangement with CHOP for those intersted in peds anesthesia where you can do internship at CHOP, 3 yrs of anesthesia at Penn and then you're guaranteed a spot in the peds anesthesia fellowship at CHOP. They "offer" this position to 2 candidates per year. Having indicated an interest in peds on my application, i was scheduled to interview with the doc who runs this program. Long story short, he pulled me aside at the end of the day and basically offered it to me. NO, it was not an offer outside the match. we're not talking contracts here, but he did tell me if i was interested i should apply and he would see to it that things go in my favor for the match (given that he is the one who makes those decisions.)

what i do not want is a discussion of the ethics of this. I discussed it with my PD, who is on a number of ERAS committees, and he sees no problem with the way it went down. what i'd like is some advice. i don't know what to do! on one hand, i am pretty sure i am going to do peds anesthesia, but it's not 100%. i don't think it is for anyone at this stage. on another, if i do end up going into peds anes, i will have passed up a pretty amazing opportunity. to answer the obvious questions:

-i love Penn. love the program, would have ranked it at the top regardless of this "offer."
    -love philly
    -i have interviews at many other good programs, stanford, UCSF, hopkins, harvard pgms, UVa, Northwestern.
    you're not required to pursue the fellowship at the end of residency, but it seemed to me that that was frowned upon. at least that's the vibe i got.

what do you guys think? particularly if you were also offered this in a previous year, i'd love to hear your comments. if i can answer any questions please let me know.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. florisio

florisio Member
    10+ Year Member

I think it is funny that they or you expect to have decided on a subspecialty before having started one day of residency (or internship for that matter). I would decline that in a heartbeat.

4. usnavdoc

usnavdoc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think it doesnt matter. I mean if you like the anesthesiology program there then rank them highly. If you decide in your ca2 year that you want to do a different fellowship or none at all then so be it. Your internship really doesnt matter that much. You just need to complete one. If you dont mind doing a peds internship and it opens a few doors for you with this specific program then go for it. It doesnt lock you into anything.

If you are worried about accepting that offer and after changing your mind hurting someones feelings or something. Well as long as you are up front with them when you change your mind and do it early it wouldnt matter. I would bet they would be professional as long as you were.

5. djipopo

djipopo SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!

6. davvid2700

davvid2700 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Dont do it

why do you have to decide if you wanna do a subspecialty now.. You can love to do kids and do kids everyday without a fellowship.. its a lot of money you are wasting if you do a fellowship