Penn State "Hold List" Chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDwannabe2005

MDwannabe2005
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got put on the "Hold List" at Penn State after interviewing in mid november...I'm just wondering if anyone knows if they accept many, if any, applicants off the waiting list. I'd just like to gauge my chances alittle better, and for the record I am going to send in a Letter of Intent just to do all I can.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard from my pre-med advisor that about 400 students get put "on -hold" at penn state (post interview). I am also in that pile. Unfortunately, I don't think our chances are great. But, there are always those few students who will make it off the waiting list....

Members don't see this ad :)
kdogg- 00 said:
I've heard from my pre-med advisor that about 400 students get put "on -hold" at penn state (post interview). I am also in that pile. Unfortunately, I don't think our chances are great. But, there are always those few students who will make it off the waiting list....

i have also just been put on "hold" at penn state. is the different than the wait list?

I have been put on hold after interviewing too. I was really bummed because Penn State is the only school I really want to attend. Any advice?

When I was on my interview back in November they told us that last year they had no waitlist movement at all. They said that this was the reason why they had an abnormally large class last year (150 instead of 135 as projected). I think they, like most schools will tend to overaccept by a few with the idea that some will decline the offer.

Before getting your hopes crushed however, it is good to realize that every year is different. This year they may have a lot of waitlist movement compared to last year. It sounded to me like the lack of movement was atypical last year. Keep your hopes up, and if you are really intent on Penn State send a letter of intent. It may not help, but in my eyes, it would definitely not hurt. Good luck!! I hope if this school is really where you want to attend that you get in!!

Nubs

btw, i called them to see whether you could find out where on the hold or waitlist you are, but amber nicely said that they aren't able to give us that information. does anyone know if their hold list is ranked?

There status page is no longer accessible, so I guess email or snail? I interviewed in early January, but haven't heard anything since.

are there three categories post-interview : hold, waitlist, and reject? Some posts indicate the hold and waitlist are two different things and other posts seem to assume the hold list IS the waitlist. Please help

are there three categories post-interview : hold, waitlist, and reject? Some posts indicate the hold and waitlist are two different things and other posts seem to assume the hold list IS the waitlist. Please help

From what I understand, the hold category is the waitlist, they just refer to it differently. And don't foget - there's another category you forgot - accept :)

From what I understand, the hold category is the waitlist, they just refer to it differently. And don't foget - there's another category you forgot - accept :)

the hold category is not a waitlist. if you interviewed and are put on hold, you will get a final decision later, either accept, reject, or waitlist. last year some people were put on 'hold list' post interview and accepted in the spring a few months after they interviewed. the letter also confirms this

:luck: everyone

I'm also on hold....and it sounds like they don't allow us to send any new information to our file with the exception of an address/contact number change. Whatever is there is what we'll continue to be held to (pun not intended). Anyone else planning on ignoring that and still sending some sort of update as we get into April?

this takes the cake--i got a snail mail letter stating that I'm on "continued review" before interview. so if they have a huge waiting list (plus maybe a separate hold category), why do they even bother with this bs.

sorry. i appreciate not being rejected quite yet, but i was hoping that continued review could give me some hope...

this takes the cake--i got a snail mail letter stating that I'm on "continued review" before interview. so if they have a huge waiting list (plus maybe a separate hold category), why do they even bother with this bs.

sorry. i appreciate not being rejected quite yet, but i was hoping that continued review could give me some hope...

The "continue to review" status was the bane of my existence a couple of years ago. It would have been a whole lot easier if they just would have rejected me straight out instead of giving me false hope.

I'm rooting for you aspiring med... don't let the "CTR" letter get you down! :luck:

PennState probability wants the best of both worlds of rolling and non-rolling admissions. this way, they can accept the best candidates and wait for better candidates to show up, without having to accept mediocre candidates early on.

the hold category is not a waitlist. if you interviewed and are put on hold, you will get a final decision later, either accept, reject, or waitlist. last year some people were put on 'hold list' post interview and accepted in the spring a few months after they interviewed. the letter also confirms this

:luck: everyone

wait, so people get rejected off of the "hold" list? why did amber say that the hold list was the same as the waitlist?

Hi all,
Anyone hear any news from Penn States hold list? i am so nervous and really want to go there. advice/news from anyone?