Penn State vs. SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gottabeMD17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was previously set on Penn State University Park and turned down my other 4 acceptances to accept their offer and take a scholarship that covers about half of the tuition. I just heard back from Downstate yesterday and was accepted.

I love the innovative curriculum at Penn State, the extremely small class size, sense of community, P/F grading, and work-life balance. I was a little concerned about the newness of the program, the fact that PSU is unranked, and the location (not close to major cities or airports).

I really did not love the facilities at downstate - it seemed outdated to me and the students seemed pretty stressed. However, it is in Brooklyn which is closer to home for me, would provide more opportunities in terms of patient population, hospitals, and social life, and would allow my SO who is in tech to find a good job.

I am still leaning toward sticking with Penn State but think Downstate would potentially solve a lot of problems in my personal life because of the location. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Would you have in-state tuition at Downstate? What would the difference in cost be?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I would be in-state at SUNY Downstate. Sorry, should have mentioned that.

Tuition would be be about $15,000 more per year at Downstate plus the obvious cost of living difference.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I would be in-state at SUNY Downstate. Sorry, should have mentioned that.

Tuition would be be about $15,000 more per year at Downstate plus the obvious cost of living difference.
Hmm, that's a tough choice! I don't think you can go wrong either way. You have great reasons for either school.

One consideration is that a bit of isolation from family can be a blessing during med school since you will need to be so focused on your studies. It's hard to gauge how the decision to attend Penn State will affect your S/o, but this is about YOU, not necessarily them. Go with your gut!

Reactions: 1 user