Penn State vs UMaryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WestcoastMedicine

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone interview at both of these places who is able to comment?

I am thinking PICU in the long run and PSU has some more specialized services (ECMO, BMT, etc...) However, Penn State is in a smaller town, the institution overall is smaller than maryland and there are alot more FMGs there, whether that makes a difference or not I am not really sure. Its cheaper to live in Hershey than baltimore, and PSU has more fellowships.

Maryland has a seperate peds ED which maryland does not have, however PSU is a level I trauma center, which, maryland is not. Maryland seems to have more research going on. Both have similar board pass rates, similar number of peds beds, salary. PSU has 6000 admissions a year vs 4500 at Maryland. Maryland has no peds ortho or neurosurg, they get sent to hopkins.

They both keep changing spots on my rank lists between each other.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah its the first trauma center in the country from what I understand, but its only for adults. They send all the kids in town to Hopkins, unless of course it happened right outside maryland I suppose.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah its ok. Lists are in already. I ended up ranking my programs based on the quality of the white coats they provide. I like the cloth buttons instead of plastic. Also, having slits onthe sides so you can still put your hands in your pants pockets are a must!