Penn State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adi Prasad

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I was the only one who interviewed in Hershey and fell in love with it. I called the admissions office at Penn State and found that there has been no waitlist movement, much to the surprise of even the admissions lady. She said by this time last year, it was moving rapidly. I don't understand, a school that interviews 750 and accepts 400 to get a class of 125 in the middle of nowhere, somehow managed to dramatically change their desirability in a single year such that there is no waitlist movement even three weeks before classes start.

I know that many SDNers have gotten into Penn State, have any of you gotten in off the waitlist or was the admissions lady telling me the truth?

Members don't see this ad.

I too adored the area (and the fact that we have cows on campus!!:D ). Its not surprising to me that many people accepted decided to attend. I don't know of anyone so far that has gotten off the waitlist. I was accepted after interviewing. Hang in there though!! I've heard of people getting in right before orientation starts.

Best wishes and luck!!

Rezul

Hi Adi - I am holding a place at PSU but if I get into somewhere else off of a waitlist in the next few weeks my spot will open up. Hang in there and keep sending off the good karma to others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump

Any news? Will anyone be here soon? Steph and I got here early so that she could job search and so that we would definitely get housing, but now we are just sitting around waiting.

hi ewells

i'm going to get there aug 3rd. Do you have campus housing or your own?
I have campus housing and am going to be car-less for at least a year .. so I'm hoping everything (groceries, postoffice, bank etc..) is within walking dist ... other then that I can't wait to get there and get started.
to answer the original op ... I too loved the school and the area when I interviewed. Luckily I was accepted after the interview and don't know much about the waitlist situation. Hope you hear something soon.

sz

Hi, sz. I am in University Manor East. The apartments are pretty nice, and there are a lot of residents, PhD students and even some fellows living here (so I am told). I was very happy to see that there are a lot of children here, so the boy has others to play with, but I can imagine someone without kids might be a little bugged by it. I know first hand how difficult it can be to study with a screaming child around.

As for conveniences, there is a convenience store across the street (University Manor West is a little more isolated, it seems), and a little further away there is a little strip mall type place. I joined the credit union and am using the ATM machine in the hospital for my banking, so I have no idea where the closest bank is. Good luck; I'll see you soon.

hey I guess we are going to be neighbors. I'm in university manor east as well. Good to hear most things are within easy reach. sounds like you and your family are all settled in ... now you can be the most oriented first year during the whole orientation week!

I don't have any children but I tell ya having lived in an apt building full of screaming 5-12 yr olds for my entire undergrad and grad work ... I've fully mastered the trick of tuning out distractions. :)

thanks for the info. see you soon.