Penn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Picklesali

M2
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else drool while they were there?
...and subsequently dream about it in your sleep?

I <3 Penn!

:love::love::love::love:

Members don't see this ad.

that seems to be the consensus

my interviewers matched my current research interests really well, and everything was so nice there that its easily my first choice. mid march is far away

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if they've interviewed structural bio people yet?

I would love to spend a total of twelve years here...:D

I am going to flood their office with letters of intent!

Yes! Do!!!

Also, anybody who has questions about life in Philly or on the Penn campus, please don't hesitate to ask!!!

How awesome would it be if our entering class at Penn next year were marctam, pickles, meowkat, jlmacc, j-weezy, and me!?!

Best of luck, you guys! I am leaving in May after 8 years and I still love it! :love: Any questions, PM me.

How awesome would it be if our entering class at Penn next year were marctam, pickles, meowkat, jlmacc, j-weezy, and me!?!

I'll be honest, I think your list is a bit lacking.

wow, so many people love penn

But Penn obviously doesn't love me, LOL.

I'm content, though. Best of :luck: to those of you waiting to hear back from them post-interview. I hope you all get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if they've interviewed structural bio people yet?

They'll be interviewed this coming week actually, assuming you put down or they put you in the department of biochemistry and molecular biophysics, where most of the structural biology professors are. If you didn't receive an invite already... Sorry but you're probably not going to get one.

They'll be interviewed this coming week actually, assuming you put down or they put you in the department of biochemistry and molecular biophysics, where most of the structural biology professors are. If you didn't receive an invite already... Sorry but you're probably not going to get one.

well.... it's true he is probably no a first draft pick but with his profile he could probably email Skip and say how he really wants to interview there, blah, blah, and maybe convince them. It is totally possible to go on an interview day where no one else from your grad group is there.

It is totally possible to go on an interview day where no one else from your grad group is there.

You can always try to e-mail them if you really want to... I've never heard of a pre-interview LOI working, but who knows, I'm sure it's happened. It's unfortunate that there's so many qualified applicants that the cut-offs are kind of arbitrary and come down to luck. I mean I interviewed at Penn and didn't get interviews at a lot of schools in the same tier, like WashU for example.

Most of the people coming alone after the main interviews are complete are those who had a really hard time scheduling to come with one of the main groups. They tend not to be people who were just invited really late, or even if they were they were invited for one of the last two groups or something and just couldn't make them. Right now my assumption from coordinating the interview groups is that all the interviews have been sent out, but I can't say that with certainty without asking.

You can always try to e-mail them if you really want to... I've never heard of a pre-interview LOI working, but who knows, I'm sure it's happened. It's unfortunate that there's so many qualified applicants that the cut-offs are kind of arbitrary and come down to luck. I mean I interviewed at Penn and didn't get interviews at a lot of schools in the same tier, like WashU for example.

Most of the people coming alone after the main interviews are complete are those who had a really hard time scheduling to come with one of the main groups. They tend not to be people who were just invited really late, or even if they were they were invited for one of the last two groups or something and just couldn't make them. Right now my assumption from coordinating the interview groups is that all the interviews have been sent out, but I can't say that with certainty without asking.

all true. though i'm pretty sure one of my classmates pushed for their interview...

all true. though i'm pretty sure one of my classmates pushed for their interview...

Has anyone else complimented your name? I was just reading this thread and I thought - "man that is such a cool name - Hard24Get - you could be a presidential candidate"...

...and since this is a relatively anonymous internet forum i figure here is the best place to share my thoughts

That's a hot girl you have as your avatar.

So did interviews for the CAMB program already go out then, I am assuming? Thats sad, but oh well.

i know at least one of the camb groups interviewed already, in mid nov

Has anyone else complimented your name? I was just reading this thread and I thought - "man that is such a cool name - Hard24Get - you could be a presidential candidate"...

...and since this is a relatively anonymous internet forum i figure here is the best place to share my thoughts

:laugh: occasionally people have pointed out my screenname, but this the first time I have been encouraged to be president on that basis - move over, Barack & Hillary! :laugh:

Ruz said:
umm, why don't you try taking a harder look at that photo. Its not just any hot girl.
And I look just like her ;)

A number of current students mentioned to me that they thought this past week's applicant group was a particularly cool bunch. I have to agree. Hope you all had a good time.

Signed,
Events dictator of the week Eric

boooooo. what was my week? chopped liver? I plead finals!

My week was cooler than yours.

says the guy who keeps making lame outdated video game references...

sorry - i'm in a bad mood because i just got rejected from stanford - again! like i'm so stupid i didn't figure out that the first letter = rejection! :mad:

says the guy who keeps making lame outdated video game references...

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Texas on this one.

A number of current students mentioned to me that they thought this past week's applicant group was a particularly cool bunch. I have to agree. Hope you all had a good time.

Signed,

Wait a minute - that's who you are? :eek: I didn't know that, I had given up on figuring you out! Do you know who I am? :)

a few of the applicants that sat at my table sucked. :(

Wait a minute - that's who you are? :eek: I didn't know that, I had given up on figuring you out! Do you know who I am? :)

You missed the days when I put my real name in my post signature so it said my full name and where I was everytime I posted. I did that for roughly 2-3 years. It got a little weird having all the applicants know who I was a priori. I used to be a frequent pre-allo helper, and led to the "YOU'RE FAMOUS!" comment I got from an MD applicant once.

and yeah... I've always known. Being a senior/site admin I can see what e-mail you registered with. I don't bring these things up to people given the obvious weirdness that this presents.

a few of the applicants that sat at my table sucked. :(

One of the other event coordinators said he had a great group except for one lame-o. It's funny, when I interviewed all those years ago, the people I interviewed with were mostly pretty lame (real quiet and formal and an air of pretentousness). The other 2 people in my class who interviewed the same day I did brought this up a few times back in first year. They were real concerned that everyone who was going to come was going to be a douchebag :laugh:. Most of my class came off the waitlist it seems (this has changed a lot), so I wonder where all the lamers end up...

I actually did have an MD/PhD applicant last year openly make fun of me numerous times. Even the other applicants thought she was being really inappropriate. I can't imagine wtf is wrong with some people.

and yeah... I've always known. Being a senior/site admin I can see what e-mail you registered with. I don't bring these things up to people given the obvious weirdness that this presents.

Aw man, there goes my mystique. And here I thought I was really hard to figure out :laugh:

One of the other event coordinators said he had a great group except for one lame-o. It's funny, when I interviewed all those years ago, the people I interviewed with were mostly pretty lame (real quiet and formal and an air of pretentousness). The other 2 people in my class who interviewed the same day I did brought this up a few times back in first year. They were real concerned that everyone who was going to come was going to be a douchebag :laugh:. Most of my class came off the waitlist it seems (this has changed a lot), so I wonder where all the lamers end up...
I actually did have an MD/PhD applicant last year openly make fun of me numerous times. Even the other applicants thought she was being really inappropriate. I can't imagine wtf is wrong with some people.

yeah, we did most of the talking at my table, and one person thought she was really the $hit, another was obsessed with a different program and kept talking about it. :rolleyes: It's funny you should mention the lamers, because everyone I interviewed with seemed lame and boring. Then I came to Penn Preview and liked everyone, so I think those people didn't get in :D

Now that I know you know who I am I have to be careful what I say - you might go running back to Skip & Maggie ;)

Now that I know you know who I am I have to be careful what I say - you might go running back to Skip & Maggie ;)

haha, why does everyone think I'm a program darling or something? I'm a program super problem child. I'd go into more detail in private, but suffice it to say anything goes here and everyone's identity IRL and here is 100% safe with me.

I've always felt I was comfortable saying who I was openly because I want the applicants to know I'm a real person who's genuinely trying to help everyone on here. In pre-allo you can obviously see where that isn't the case :laugh:. As an applicant I can certainly understand why people want to hide who they are... As I get closer to applying to residency I worry more and more about those issues myself. I think people can trust me, but I'm unconvinced the students/residents at all schools who would tell applicants to trust them would really be trustworthy...

Aw man, there goes my mystique. And here I thought I was really hard to figure out :laugh:

you aren't hard to figure out

you're hard to forget

sorry - that was really really bad

Beyond good. In keeping with the original post, "I <3 Penn!"

Signed,

Are you the Eric who went with us to Curtis? I'm the guy who lost his voice. If so, it was good to finally meet you. We PMed once or twice several years ago.

Ari

Every time I come back to Penn it's like falling in love all over again :D.

I love Penn more every time J-weezy mentions it.

Hey so I somehow thought March 19th was the big day (I know - over a month away still) but now when you check application status it says March 30th. Anyone know if MD/PhD admissions decisions go out along with MD?

They do go along with the MD admissions--no sooner. For the actual date you might as well roll 2d20. It changes every year and I don't think it's ever what date anyone actually says (some years earlier, some later).

I thought they had stopped giving out firm dates for that reason :laugh: but it changes every year.

They do go along with the MD admissions--no sooner. For the actual date you might as well roll 2d20. It changes every year and I don't think it's ever what date anyone actually says (some years earlier, some later).

I thought they had stopped giving out firm dates for that reason :laugh: but it changes every year.

i'm having a hard time believing you avatar is real