Pennsylvania programs?

Started by kapMD/PhD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kapMD/PhD

T-1 yr
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm looking forward to applying to residencies soon. Would anyone be kind enough to comment on the Pennsylvania programs: UPenn, Temple, Thomas Jefferson, Drexel, and the Albert Einstein programs.
I'd love to hear if you are a resident at any of these, or if you interviewed there or if you've ever even really heard anything about the programs. Thanks a bunch!!
 
UPMC UPMC UPMC
I
I
I
U Penn
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
Temple, Thomas Jefferson, Allegheny General
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
Drexel, Penn State, Albert Einstein
 
Teaching wise, Drexel is great. MR every day, Neurorad and stroke conf every week all with chairman. You become a good general neurologist. Parking is free for resident but not food.calls 1st and 2nd years, q6-7 (one junior and one senior), 3rd yr, one call a month.

Jefferson, strong headache and stroke program. very busy stroke and critical care. you need to pay for parking in downtown, $170-200 a month.

U .Penn, strong neuro-ICU and movement disorder. Ivy League program.

I am not completely agree with the ranking, people have different opinions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UPMC UPMC UPMC
I
I
I
U Penn
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
Temple, Thomas Jefferson, Allegheny General
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
Drexel, Penn State, Albert Einstein

ha! UPMC is _not_ that good. over UPenn? interesting. pitt has always had decent stroke. they seem to maybe have trouble recruiting/hiring faculty? as I've seen ads for many neuro positions for a long time . pitt is a nicer town than most people think though... but Jeff and Penn certainly have some big names and important people in a bunch of subspecialties that pitt may lack in...

scm
 
U Penn is a fantastic program, period. I had a very difficult time deciding between there and the program in Boston where I ultimately ended up.

When interviewing for neuroICU fellowships, I had a similarly difficult decision. The ICU at U Penn is terrific, with cutting edge NCCU EEG care, fantastic trauma exposure, and numerous DOD grants. I'm certain I would have had a great experience with them.

Dalmau is at U Penn. He is a very important figure in paraneoplastic disease. Steve Galetta is a great teacher, and a preeminent neuro-ophthalmologist. Josh Levine is the director of the ICU, and has a great degree of respect in the neuroICU community.

I will not speak against other programs, but U Penn is truly great. I did not go there, but I would have been proud to.
 
Thank you all so much!! I'm really in the beginning stages of learning about all of these programs right now, so I really appreciate this information. I'm going to apply for some away rotations and hopefully get some first hand experience.
If you have any other input - I'd love to hear! Thanks!!