People don't remember having NCS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PMR 4 MSK

Large Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All the time I see patients who have had previous EMG's, and much of the time they swear they did not have NCS done, only the needle exam. I have the reports from other doctors showing the NCS results, yet as I'm doing the zaps, they still say that they never had it don't or at least don't recall it. One a couple weeks ago was a patient I did the exam a couple years ago, and she still said that she only remembered the needle exam.

Along the same lines, almost every day I have someone who is suprised when I say "Now we're going to switch to the needle exam." They act like they had no idea a needle would be used, and this is after I have already told them at the beginning of the exam that I would be doing the NCS and "I will be sticking a small needle into several muscles." Others think the NCS was the needle exam. I think maybe it's just the anxiety at work and they are not really hearing anything I say.

But then, every so often I get one like today - When I mentioned the needle at the beginning, I got a huge anxiety response, "Oh no, not a needle! I hate needles!" and near tears. 20 minutes later when I said we would be moving on to the needle exam I get "What?!?! You never said anything about a needle! Oh god, no!" I just look at my nurse, WTF?

Do you guys see similar?

Members don't see this ad.

absolutely i see this. my rationale? people are dumb. seriously. no other way to explain it.

there are some things that i can see until im blue in the face and they just dont sink in (ie: the rationale behind medial branch blocks).

this reminds me of a little video which may help me prove my point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdGe8qvjcU8

All the time. Sometimes though, after the first shock or needle stick, it all comes flooding back to them.

I agree w/ SSdoc 33: some people are dumb. Hard to fix that. Nothing illegal about it though. Keeps us in business.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the same experience: the patients always insist they only had the needle portion of the exam.

Yeah! I just had a person who forgot they had it only two months afterwards! And it was a terrible study which needs to be repeated.

i usually say "here is a big prick..." oh wait did i just say that?

Wow. I've had three done and remember every b*st**d that did one on me. And the last one was 8 years ago.

The most amusing thing is when patients actually fall asleep during the NCS or EMG. I've seen this numerous times.

Can you say "stat polysomnogram"? :laugh:

When I tell some patients who experiencing significant discomfort from the procedure that some other patients have fallen asleep in the EMG lab, they can't believe that.

I recently had a patient who screamed for the first 30 minutes of the exam, then fell asleep for the remainder. We did an extremely thorough exam that took well over two hours but was normal, but when the patient woke up, she insisted that we continue with the study till we find something.

I feel bad waking some of these patients up. They look so relaxed and peaceful. Although I did diagnose sleep apnea in someone once.

Had a patient today who forgot I did an EMG on her 3 years ago. She asked me “was that one normal?” I told her it was. She then told me, “let’s hope this one isn’t.”

I have an EMG looming in my near future and I spend my days in fear.

I have an EMG looming in my near future and I spend my days in fear.

The more anxious you are, the more discomfort you will experience - heightened arousal. It's like getting static electricity a few times and the a few small needles. Nothing to fear.

No one ever died or bled out from EMG...