People who took the April MCATS. . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meridian

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
did any of you guys take that spring semester off in order to study for the MCATS? If you didn't, how many credits did you carry? I'm thinking about taking maybe 2 easy courses, what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

i took 12 credits...just enough to stay full time.

mammalian phys. (pretty tough...but great prep for MCAT)

biochem lab (not difficult)

general bio 2 (ha, ha...as a senior)

tennis

wow, and you managed to do well on the mcats AND do well in those classes? man i'll be nervous , coz mcats are around our finals weeks

(ok where's that smiley face that drops to the knee and worships)

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the August MCAT but I did not take the whole summer off to study - I was taking 12 credits and working full time whilst preparing for the MCAT. I did fine, but people know better themselves how much they can take on at once. You should assume the MCATs will take about the same amount of time as a 4 credit course and plan around that...I think it's completely unnecessary to stop *everything* while studying for the test. You just need the discipline to study the hours - and if you don't have that then take a class like Kaplan.

I also took 12 credits. I recommend taking as few classes as you can, but to make sure you have some fun that semester, or you'll just go crazy.

I took 12 credits plus 3 research credits

Systems Physiology (challenging but great Bio review for MCAT)
Molecular Bio & Biochem (challenging- hardly any help for the MCAT)
Old Testament (not too hard at all)
Intro to Research in Genetics (not too hard at all)
Psychology Research (easy...)

I also worked about 10hrs/week (but I could easily study at my job). I did okay on the MCAT- but I don't think my downfall was a lack of studying... I actually don't know what it was that did it....

good luck :)

Originally posted by Desdemona
I also took 12 credits. I recommend taking as few classes as you can, but to make sure you have some fun that semester, or you'll just go crazy.

yes, fun - thats why I was taking the organic chem that semester.... ;) :laugh: ok, kidding, o.chem is not my friend...

for some reason, the more activities im involved in (say research, clubs), the more focussed i am in school.. dont know why... i guess i'll take maybe a few courses to fulfill my full time status, and make them count toward my graduation... yea that's it

im not even done with my prereqs.. and im already planning on what to wear for hte interview and stuff.. is this normal? or am I being too optimistic? i know i should just strive to ace my science classes.. but i can't stop think about mcats, applications, interviews, what if i get 2 interviews on the same date.. ahhhhhhh ...

i go from "ok i have a slim chance", to "yea right, who are you kidding?"

Last spring was the semester that espresso began officially counting as hours of sleep:

I took the following classes:

Control Systems in Bioengineering
Solid State Biomechanics
Engineering Physiology (2 credit lab course)
American Fiction
Thermodynamics

I was also training for the Boston Marathon, which I ran (and completed) the weekend before my April MCAT.

I turned 21 three weeks before the marathon, but I had sworn off alcohol until the MCAT and marathon were over. I swore to be more drunk than ever before after the MCAT was over.... so i got home from the testing center, pounded a beer, promptly fell asleep for 4 hours, then woke up and went out.

The morals of my story:
1) stock up on Motrin if you plan on running a marathon before your MCAT

2) nap before hitting the bars afterwards

cheers,

Tom

I know what you mean meridian, I think im obsessed with it. Think about mcat, who my class mates will be, and then decide I wont never get in. Hopefully Ill feel alot better after this whole MCAT thing is over. The focused part also, since I have worked full time, Ive done much better in school

Originally posted by medicRN669
I know what you mean meridian, I think im obsessed with it. Think about mcat, who my class mates will be, and then decide I wont never get in. Hopefully Ill feel alot better after this whole MCAT thing is over. The focused part also, since I have worked full time, Ive done much better in school

I got married the Saturday before the MCATs. That event made it difficult to study in the days before test. I didn't do as well as I had hoped, but it turned out OK.

I suggest taking a light courseload, but I don't think that you need to take off the semester entirely.

I would figure MCAT prep as a upper div science course - and plan the rest of your unit load accordingly. If you usually carry 16 units, cut back to 12. If you usually carry 12, try to make one of them a lightweight course that won't require much study time outside of class.

I work fulltime during the week (M-F, 40+ hrs) and took 9.5 quarter units: Muscle Physiology, Physics II (of III), Physics II lab.

My 2 cents...

I see most pre-meds get WAY too worked up over studying for the MCAT. I am sure I am going to be in the vast minority on this point, but I think these Kaplan and Princeton Review courses are a huge waste of time, money, and effort. The idea of taking a whole semester off or taking a ridiculously light load the semester before the MCATs doesnt make much sense to me either. We have been taking exams like this our entire lives. I dont understand the concept of passing on higher level science courses to "study for the MCAT". I think taking those classes will prepare you a whole hell of alot better for the test than these prep classes or taking a light load. I freshened up on a little o chem the day before the exam because I hadnt seen it for a year. That's it... and I'll tell you, I felt alot more relaxed and comfortable than all those people sitting with their Kaplan review books in the hallways outside the testing rooms. What in god's name are you trying to cram in... everything??? The test examines your ability to think. This is significantly reduced by getting all freaked out about "not knowing everything".

My advice: chill out.

I took Physical Chemistry I (math intensive and time consuming)
Biochemistry (time consuming)
Analytical Chemistry (killer class)
Psych. (okay)

Overall, I got to study for my MCATS for a week and although I didn't do so well, I didn't do so terribly either.