people with 35's on the mcat and higher

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaq786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read the previous post about SAT and MCAT score...but heres my other question...What was your mcat score the first time you were practicing?

How much did you all study to get up at 35 and up?

and lastly any high mcat people with low sat scores?????

Members don't see this ad.

I made a 920 on the SAT and a 36 on the MCAT. That is pretty low for the SAT, but the MCAT is better. Oh, but that SAT was without any prep so with prep class I probably would have made a 1200 or so.

free kaplan diag: 26

studied: a few months, an hour or so a day on average (self-study)

score raised: 9 points

First Kaplan Diagnostic: 27
Studied Four Months with Kaplan
Score Raised 15 Points

Members don't see this ad :)
ACT: 27

Kaplan Diagnostic: 26
April MCAT: 36

I took the Kaplan prep course and studied like crazy for 3-4 months.

SAT: 1370(600V/770M)
EK Diag (I think they give AAMC 5R for diag): 28
Practice tests ranged from 30-36
real deal: 35

SAT 1400 (740V/660M) before recentering
ACT 33
TPR diag 27? (don't have it in front of me)
MCAT 36

TPR diag 1: 25

April MCAT: 39

velocypedalist said:
TPR diag 1: 25

April MCAT: 39

How much did you thank TPR? I know I think they're better than sliced bread, but you got even a bit more improvement than I did.

MoosePilot said:
How much did you thank TPR? I know I think they're better than sliced bread, but you got even a bit more improvement than I did.

oh, i thanked them quite a bit. I'm actually teaching for them now.

velocypedalist said:
oh, i thanked them quite a bit. I'm actually teaching for them now.

That's cool. I wish I had time to do that. I think TPR is the bomb. Great environment. I think they're the SouthWest Airline of test prep :)

36 the first time. I view that as my first diagnostic; we'll see what happens in August.

MoosePilot said:
tpr is weak, all there stuff is too easy. i need a challenge, and those problems seemed like a joke.

potential said:
tpr is weak, all there stuff is too easy. i need a challenge, and those problems seemed like a joke.

I always ask myself before I answer posts like this, "Self, do I start by assuming this guy is a troll or stick with my intention of acting like he's serious." I think I respond based on my mood and I'm debating which way to fall with you.

Did you actually take the MCAT without TPR, take the full TPR class, then take the MCAT with TPR prep, and compare the scores before and after? If not, why do you think you're as qualified to comment on their prep as those of us who have?

Or did you look at one of their books in a bookstore and think, "Wow, I'm way smarter than this?"

Good luck on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
ifailedmcat said:
Hey Moose, this same guy said all the Kaplan tests were too easy in another thread :rolleyes:.

Yeah, I was noticing that. Not a score to be found, so far as I can tell.

WHAT?????? that really scares me! i did horribly on my first practice (a EK)

and i did well on my SATs. hmmmm....

Psycho Doctor said:
a 920 on the SAT??? i don't believe you

But remember, that is no studying. Keep that in mind. For the MCAT I studied much more. And the MCAT is graded on a different scale.

willthatsall said:
But remember, that is no studying. Keep that in mind. For the MCAT I studied much more. And the MCAT is graded on a different scale.

Will, you were such an underachiever in HS. I'm glad you've progressed since then.

Did they make you report those drug offenses on your apps, or do they not count since you were a minor?

MoosePilot said:
Will, you were such an underachiever in HS. I'm glad you've progressed since then.

Did they make you report those drug offenses on your apps, or do they not count since you were a minor?

Yeah, my IQ was like 105 in high school and that is pretty bad. I mean it's not terrible, but it's not very good for a college person. But that IQ score was with no studying also. Now my IQ is around 145 or 150 which is a lot better. All of that is just from working hard and studying. I am a success story because I really believe that hard work and focus can allow you to achieve anything. That's why I did so much better on the MCAT than on the SAT.

My original score on the PR practice test was a 26. My actual MCAT score was a 36. My scores really didn't go up significantly until the last two tests w/ TPR...in fact, I think it went down a couple of points for the first two.
I studied pretty much every day for the entire summer and probably averaged 4 to 5 hours per day. I would suggest that you increase the amount of studying you do up until the week before the test, then cut back a little and devote your time solely to working through passages and going back through your old tests. I found it most helpful to look carefully at what types of questions I was missing and record the mistakes I was making...at first this felt a little stupid, but then I really began to see patterns in my errors, and this helped out a lot.

willthatsall said:
Yeah, my IQ was like 105 in high school and that is pretty bad. I mean it's not terrible, but it's not very good for a college person. But that IQ score was with no studying also. Now my IQ is around 145 or 150 which is a lot better.

That sort of shows that IQ tests are sort of a joke. I'm sure you're a smart guy, but you're not supposed to be able to study for an IQ test.

first TPR diag: 31
real MCAT: 43

I agree with ut_stephen. It seems many people don't take the time to go back and find patterns in the types of problem they miss. Taking 20 diags won't help if you're making the same mistake over and over again.

Not to sure about the IQ thing. I've worked as a master's level psychologist and I've given hundred of Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scales (WAIS-III) which is pretty much the official test along with the Standord Binet Scales. The normative data pool was incredibly large for both and the higest IQ increase is only about 8-15 points. You can't study for the test you either have visual spatial ability or you do not have it. You either have pattern recognition or Gestalt thinking or you do not have it. The test you took was probably one of those brain buster puzzles or something. By the way I test a kid with a 32 ACT score and he only score 135. Can't divulge any priviledged info those are the numbers I've seen.
Bye the way who would retake an MCAT with a 35 unless its out of date.

I took Kaplan, and went from a diagnostic of 23 to a 35. I agree with jeffsleepy and ut_stephen - the key is to not only study your strengths, but more importantly your weaknesses. When you miss a question on a practice test, you must know why you missed it, and self-correct. I kept a notebook nearby, in which I jotted down concepts that weren't quite sinking in, as judged by questions I got wrong. Then, every few days, I would go back and study those concepts again, and make sure I understood them. Good luck!

the other Dr. said:
It's no 35, but I got a 33 after months of hard-core studying and my SAT was 960. :)

Thanks Dr., I'm a hardcore studier as well, but still a newbie. You given me hope. I only made a 1000 on the SAT, but keep in mind my logic skills were off back then, and I would just blatently pick an answer which I wasnt sure about or if I didnt really want to think too hard about it. I probably could have gotten it to a 1050(I know thats not a big change but still)

As for science, I strive to try and be the best so I work hard at it. I hope that helps me fight the battle on the mcat in addition to my studying I'm gona have to do

That's exactly what i was thinking. IQ shouldn't reqire studying...it's supposed to be your inate intelligence. BTW SAT wa sneve rintended to be a test to study for, and years ago (I gues sour parents' generation) NO ONE studied for them. College compettion just got so competitve and everyone wanted an edge. I wonder if years ago people ever studied for the MCAT or if they went in cold. I'm sure the prep was never what it is today.

willthatsall said:
All of that is just from working hard and studying. I am a success story because I really believe that hard work and focus can allow you to achieve anything. That's why I did so much better on the MCAT than on the SAT.

wow, very impressive...kudos to you. success stories are always very poignant. congrats!!

SleepPsych72 said:
Not to sure about the IQ thing. I've worked as a master's level psychologist and I've given hundred of Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scales (WAIS-III) which is pretty much the official test along with the Standord Binet Scales. The normative data pool was incredibly large for both and the higest IQ increase is only about 8-15 points. You can't study for the test you either have visual spatial ability or you do not have it. You either have pattern recognition or Gestalt thinking or you do not have it. The test you took was probably one of those brain buster puzzles or something. By the way I test a kid with a 32 ACT score and he only score 135. Can't divulge any priviledged info those are the numbers I've seen.

I took an IQ test when I was a kid (2nd grade?) to track gifted and talented. I'm betting I couldn't do as well now. Does dropping work the same way as improving?

SleepPsych72 said:

is a 135 bad? I thought the average iq was like a 114 or something

Intelligence Interval Cognitive Designation
Below 75 Mild to profound learning difficulty
75 - 85 Below average
85 - 114 Average
115 - 124 Above average
125 - 134 Gifted
135 - 144 Highly gifted
145 - 164 Genius
165 - 179 High genius
180 - 200 Extraordinary genius
200 or higher "Unmeasurable" genius

I made a 135, and i'm a hs grad going into my freshmen year of college. BTW i scored a 26 on the ACT

hnbui said:
is a 135 bad? I thought the average iq was like a 114 or something

Intelligence Interval Cognitive Designation
Below 75 Mild to profound learning difficulty
75 - 85 Below average
85 - 114 Average
115 - 124 Above average
125 - 134 Gifted
135 - 144 Highly gifted
145 - 164 Genius
165 - 179 High genius
180 - 200 Extraordinary genius
200 or higher "Unmeasurable" genius

I made a 135, and i'm a hs grad going into my freshmen year of college. BTW i scored a 26 on the ACT

No, like your chart shows 135 is extremely good.

He said "only 135" because he was contrasting that IQ/ACT combo to one someone else posted.

MoosePilot said:
No, like your chart shows 135 is extremely good.

He said "only 135" because he was contrasting that IQ/ACT combo to one someone else posted.

oh okay gotcha ;)

No a 135 is good!
If you had statistics and you have seen the bell curve and all of that it goes by standard deviations were 100 is the mean (50% of the population) and then every fiften points in either direction is 1 SD above or below the mean respectively. So a 130 is 2 SD above the mean and a 145 would be 3 SD above the mean and after that is like extremely rare. You would have to use a different type of test because WAIS-III only went to 155. I've never seen above 140. So basically 3 SD in either direction would be way at either extreme of the bell curve.

One more thing it also went the other way. A person below 70 was considered Mentally ******ed and it varied by four different subtypes the lowest being people who were non-verbal or in a vegatitive state were profound. IQ= 20-