People with less than 87 on Part I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colours99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you who scored less than 87 and registered to retake are planning on retaking the exam?
How many will keep what ever scores you have got ?

Please respond.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i have scored 87, but what's the point of choosing 87 as cutoff limit?
most ortho and omfs programs indicate 90 as the gold standard, and some rumors claim that 89 is the new gold standard, but not 87!

i have scored 87, but what's the point of choosing 87 as cutoff limit?
most ortho and omfs programs indicate 90 as the gold standard, and some rumors claim that 89 is the new gold standard, but not 87!

Isn't part II more important for universities when selecting applicants than part I.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I would suggest to retake the test. Your chances of getting calls would rise tremendously. I got 84 too and retook it.

Hope it helps!

I would say keep whateever u have & take part 2.....Its easy for everybody to say to retake...but just imagine if unfortunately u end up with a lower score in your next attempt u'll be stuck with that...moreover I think with the new no retake rule there'll be less people with really high scores & the schools will actually lower their score requirements... this is just my personel opinion...decision is up to u...

I am asking because, part 2 failure rate has increased tremendously in the past couple of months. It was a tough exam before but its become more tougher and difficult now. So, I am not able to decide if its better to go for part 1 retake or part2 ?

well have you secured the confirmation number before Jan 1st , 2010? If so, you can always change your mind... As for part 2 - yeah, it is a hard exam and well, I was wondering if I should take it prior to applying to Univs or not. So I decided to play it safe and do not take it before the applications. You know both scores are reported in one sheet...

I am asking because, part 2 failure rate has increased tremendously in the past couple of months. It was a tough exam before but its become more tougher and difficult now. So, I am not able to decide if its better to go for part 1 retake or part2 ?

Yes i have applied before dec 31st. What do u mean by both score will be reported in one sheet?

well have you secured the confirmation number before Jan 1st , 2010? If so, you can always change your mind... As for part 2 - yeah, it is a hard exam and well, I was wondering if I should take it prior to applying to Univs or not. So I decided to play it safe and do not take it before the applications. You know both scores are reported in one sheet...

when schools (univs) ask you to forward your board score, the ADA will send them a sheet of your part 1 and part 2 results (even if the school only wants part 1 ). That being said, if you have a good part 1 score, and just pass part 2 with 75-ish, the school will be able to look at your part 2 score (even if they don't specify that they do not want part 2 scores). Having said that, I think that you should be really careful with your part 2 score. You don't want to end up with a low part 2 score that will appear on your boards transcript while you apply even to univ that only require part 1...

Yes i have applied before dec 31st. What do u mean by both score will be reported in one sheet?

no prob!!really informative..thk you..:)
Did you take the exam??how much you have scored??

considering the failure rates in part 2 I think even a pass will be a bonus in your nbde transcript & I don't think many of the schools that need part 2 doesn't even have a score requirement... they just want u to pass the exam... I mean high scores r great, but I think a pass is just as good enough.. correct me if I am wrong