per diem hospital positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christy101

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's everyone's experience that have a full time and are doing per diem in a hospital? Is it likely to get a per diem hosp if you have only retail experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What's everyone's experience that have a full time and are doing per diem in a hospital? Is it likely to get a per diem hosp if you have only retail experience?
Sorry if this was answered but yeah, totally possible. In fact, I just got the per diem position at a local hospital. I am currently full time at retail and no prior hospital experience. So just keep applying.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot depends on the hospitals/size/location, etc.
Your best opportunity will be in a hospital that has separate defined operations and clinical teams. Many of these tend to be the larger academic hospitals. They literally have RPh's who sit in the basement and only check product (pyxis refills, first doses, etc). To me it would be beyond boring, but easy $$, and it is the proverbial "get your foot in the door" type of position.

My hospital have a few people that are per diem/low FTE that work like every 4th weekend or something like that. Per Diem clinical type positions tend not to work very well as there is often too much information / changes to keep up with for someone who just doesn't work that much.

Reactions: 1 user