Quantcast

Percent of applicants with research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anti-PD1

Brain/Spine/Nerves
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Does anyone know where to find data on how many successful applicants have research experiences? The AAMC has a bunch of data on how important research is, but I can't find a percent figure.

Lawpy

38% Full Member
7+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to find data on how many successful applicants have research experiences? The AAMC has a bunch of data on how important research is, but I can't find a percent figure.

True or false? 90% applicants accepted to med school have research experience

There's data for this. Matriculating questionnaire says 60%, so a majority but not nearly 90%

nPVhSID.png

AMCAS reports 84% of enrollees (matriculants) have reported research experience on their Primary Application

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fastly.net/production/media/filer_public/5a/31/5a31bbea-f1bd-4378-942e-73ae7071cbba/amcas_infographic_2016.pdf

Hmm so does this mean 15% of people put a primary entry under research/lab that they don't think qualifies as a formal mentored research experience?

I would guess that more likely non-lab experience either clinical, social/public health aspects or research in another field entirely

Also: Efle's Matriculating Student Survey Highlights - Fun Facts and Demographics

Reactions: 1 user

Cookiess

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Anecdotally, I would estimate over 95% of my classmates have research experience.

Reactions: 1 user

Microbug

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anecdotally, I would estimate over 95% of my classmates have research experience.
Although the quality varies. Some people just wash glasswares in a lab for two months and call it research.

Reactions: 1 users

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Presented in detail above by @Lawper: In sum, the data shows that 60% of matriculating medical students report "laboratory research apprenticeship for college students" but there is no data concerning graduate or employment research experience nor non-laboratory experience . Additionally, AMCAS summary of primary applications have nearly 85% of enrollees having "research/lab experience." It would seem reasonable to speculate that the 15% difference is comprised of a) non laboratory research and b) non-college laboratory in in either graduate school or employment.
(see AAMC MSQ for matriculating student questionnaire and see AMCAS infographic 2016 for primary application aggregate data)

However, the percentage of matriculants having research or any other categories of factors does not necessarily correlate to the importance of consideration of that factor for admission purposes.

In a 2013 AAMC survey* where 127 medical admissions offices responded, found research experience is only of medium importance at private schools and of low importance to public schools as an experiential factor in offering both interview invitations and acceptance. Healthcare experience, community service/volunteer experience, experience with underserved populations, navigated through cultural barriers or challenges, leadership experience were considered of higher importance in factors for interview invites and offers of acceptances. This was further borne out in the 2015 AAMC Survey** where 130 medical school admissions found that both community service or volunteer in both medical and non-medical settings ranked higher in importance than physician shadowing

The percent of first year students in any specific school with certain experiences can be found in the MSAR under the "Admissions" tab and then in a bar graph under "Premedical Exoerience"

*https://www.aamc.org/download/434596/data/usingmcatdata2016.pdf#page=7
see page 3 (pdf p7) Table 1. Mean Importance Ratings of Academic, Experiential, and Demographic Application Data Used by Admissions Committees for Making Decisions about Which Applicants to Receive an Interview Invitation and Offer Acceptance (N=127)

** https://www.aamc.org/download/462316/data/mcatguide.pdf#page=10
See page 4 (pdf page 9) Table 1. Mean Importance Ratings of Academic, Experiential, Demographic, and Interview Data Used by Admissions Committees for Making Decisions about Which Applicants Receive Interview Invitations and Acceptance Offers (N=130)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users