Percent of applicants with research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anti-PD1

Brain/Spine/Nerves
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to find data on how many successful applicants have research experiences? The AAMC has a bunch of data on how important research is, but I can't find a percent figure.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know where to find data on how many successful applicants have research experiences? The AAMC has a bunch of data on how important research is, but I can't find a percent figure.

True or false? 90% applicants accepted to med school have research experience

There's data for this. Matriculating questionnaire says 60%, so a majority but not nearly 90%

nPVhSID.png

AMCAS reports 84% of enrollees (matriculants) have reported research experience on their Primary Application

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fastly.net/production/media/filer_public/5a/31/5a31bbea-f1bd-4378-942e-73ae7071cbba/amcas_infographic_2016.pdf

Hmm so does this mean 15% of people put a primary entry under research/lab that they don't think qualifies as a formal mentored research experience?

I would guess that more likely non-lab experience either clinical, social/public health aspects or research in another field entirely

Also: Efle's Matriculating Student Survey Highlights - Fun Facts and Demographics

Reactions: 1 user

Anecdotally, I would estimate over 95% of my classmates have research experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anecdotally, I would estimate over 95% of my classmates have research experience.
Although the quality varies. Some people just wash glasswares in a lab for two months and call it research.

Reactions: 1 users