Percentage of Original DNA genetics question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtualmaster999

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Quick question on this:

So in Destroyer, the question states "what percent of the double stranded dna contains the original dna after 4 rounds?"

So 4 rounds....2^4=16. And then 2/16 possible so 1/8=.125. Easy.

Then I hit a similar question from QVault:

Double stranded DNA goes through 6 rounds of self-replication. What fraction of the total genetic material produced is composed of the original DNA?

Answer is 1/64.

Im not sure why/ how. I did 2^6=64. 2/64=1/32.

Isnt this the same concept??

Could someone give me a hand here?

Thanks in advance! much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Tricky wording here. What percent of the double stranded DNA means how many of the total DNA strands contain the original. 16 total double stranded DNA and 2 of the 16 contain the original so 1/8. You understand that though.

What fraction of the total genetic material produced is different. Basically think of that as the number of single stranded DNA produced. So if it was 4 rounds you would produce a total of 32 DNA strands so the fraction composed of the original DNA would be 2/32 or 1/16 (not 1/8). Likewise, the total genetic material produced after 6 rounds would be 128. Fraction composed of original DNA would be 2/128 = 1/64

Tricky wording here. What percent of the double stranded DNA means how many of the total DNA strands contain the original. 16 total double stranded DNA and 2 of the 16 contain the original so 1/8. You understand that though.

What fraction of the total genetic material produced is different. Basically think of that as the number of single stranded DNA produced. So if it was 4 rounds you would produce a total of 32 DNA strands so the fraction composed of the original DNA would be 2/32 or 1/16 (not 1/8). Likewise, the total genetic material produced after 6 rounds would be 128. Fraction composed of original DNA would be 2/128 = 1/64
Ahhh that make sense. It is tricky wording! So whenever it says "total genetic material" just multiply your strands by 2, and the do 2/ total right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't it because the first question starts with one strand (original DNA) and the other starts with two (double stranded DNA). So one multiplies to 16 but another to 32?

Hi all!

Quick question on this:

So in Destroyer, the question states "what percent of the double stranded dna contains the original dna after 4 rounds?"

So 4 rounds....2^4=16. And then 2/16 possible so 1/8=.125. Easy.

Then I hit a similar question from QVault:

Double stranded DNA goes through 6 rounds of self-replication. What fraction of the total genetic material produced is composed of the original DNA?

Answer is 1/64.

Im not sure why/ how. I did 2^6=64. 2/64=1/32.

Isnt this the same concept??

Could someone give me a hand here?

Thanks in advance! much appreciated!

It is a similar concept. In this question, Qvault is asking what percent of the total genetic material has original 2 strands.

They did not ask what percent of the double stranded DNA has the original 2 strands.
So, after 6 rounds of replication, you have 64 double strands (pairs) and 128 strands total, correct?
Two out of those 128 strands are from the original DNA. 2/128= 1/64.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
It is a similar concept. In this question, Qvault is asking what percent of the total genetic material has original 2 strands.

They did not ask what percent of the double stranded DNA has the original 2 strands.
So, after 6 rounds of replication, you have 64 double strands (pairs) and 128 strands total, correct?
Two out of those 128 strands are from the original DNA. 2/128= 1/64.

Hope this helps.
Much appreciated!!

Reactions: 1 user