Percentiles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lolopop20020

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I got back my printout scores for the january PCAT, and what I dont understand is how percentiles are calculated.
I made a 400 on the chemistry part but ended up with a very low percentile. Can someone explain why?
Thanks!
 
That pretty much means your 400 scaled score isn't very high with respect to the other test-takers. Even though 400 is considered "average," it is only a numerical average; it does not take into account how well the other people are doing.

A 400 at one point in time could be the cutoff for the 99th percentile, provided that people did awful in chemistry and got 300s and 350s as their scaled scores. A 400 could very well be the cutoff for the 30th percentile if people were scoring in the 430s and 450s. I pulled these numbers out of my ass, but the whole point is to just demonstrate that a 400 scaled doesn't mean anything on the PCAT unless if you compare it to other people.