PhD/PsyD Performance-Based Interview--what to expect?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HomeworkHelper

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have an interview at a VA for a staff psychologist position. They mentioned they would be using a PBI. I looked at the PBI website and downloaded the sample questions that are pretty generic. I'm not currently at a VA, so I'm not in a good position to ask people what the questions look like more specifically for a psychologist position. Has anyone had experience with a PBI-style interview and would be willing to share the kinds of questions you remember? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I can/should share specfic questions, but suffice to say "Tell me about a time when..." or variant thereof, will be at the beginning of each. Be prepared to discuss examples of complex patients, specific treatments/assessment approaches, specific orientations, conflict resolutions techniques, working with management and within confines of a large organization, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, it's nothing out of the realm of a normal interview. If you are not prepared to answer the PBI type questions, you are probably not prepared for an interview in general. As erg said, just be able to talk about your clinical skills in relation to specific examples.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to you both. My previous interviews for internship and postdoc were more conversational in nature, asking questions more broadly, like "tell me more about your experience with DBT." I did generate specific examples of challenging cases, but didn't get too many of those kind of questions at the places I interviewed. I'm usually a good interviewer, but I wanted to make sure I was prepared. My interview is only an hour, which I hope doesn't mean anything in and of itself.

I don't think I can/should share specfic questions, but suffice to say "Tell me about a time when..." or variant thereof, will be at the beginning of each. Be prepared to discuss examples of complex patients, specific treatments/assessment approaches, specific orientations, conflict resolutions techniques, working with management and within confines of a large organization, etc.
I preferred those types of questions when interviewed. I can talk about cases all day long. Answering vague open-ended questions is much harder for me, although I have gotten better with all the practice we get during the process.

Hi all, hope you don't mind me bumping this thread.

Does anyone know how much one's score on the PBI factors into the hiring decision? Or does that vary across VAs?

Hi all, hope you don't mind me bumping this thread.

Does anyone know how much one's score on the PBI factors into the hiring decision? Or does that vary across VAs?

At my former VA, scores are the deciding factor unless something about your personality/behavior grossed us out.