periodic table

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rosina

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do we get a periodic table for the PCAT plus if your doing practice test how much questions missed= a composite score, is there a range??

Members don't see this ad.

you dont get a periodic table, but if you need it to answer a certain question, they'll give you the info w/ the question.

thanx, ive been praciticing with cliffs pcat book and they ask questsions such as alpha decay occured in Uranium what element would it turn into, would you find such questions on the test. Alos is cliffs too easy of a study material for the pcat?

thanx, ive been praciticing with cliffs pcat book and they ask questsions such as alpha decay occured in Uranium what element would it turn into, would you find such questions on the test. Alos is cliffs too easy of a study material for the pcat?

You would find a question like that on the test, but the key concept is actually alpha decay. If you understand that the alpha decay concept is just losing a 4/2 Helium ion, then you should know that you only need to subtract 4 from the mass number and 2 from the atomic number. I'm sure that question would also give you Uranium in the form of 238/92 U. Then you should be able to pick out your answer 234/90 Th because that's the one with the right numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks do you think its hard to get over a 55 o n the test if you haven't taken ochem or microbiology? and howmuch can you miss in each section that transcends to the composite score?

thanks do you think its hard to get over a 55 o n the test if you haven't taken ochem or microbiology? and howmuch can you miss in each section that transcends to the composite score?

It wouldn't be hard at all. A 55 total composite score means 44% of the people who took the test scored higher than you. If you can get at least 55% on each section, then you'll definitely get a 55% for composite score. If you are really strong in several sections, it's possible to get over 55% even if you score poorly in one section. I remember someone on the forums reported a 94% composite with a 15% reading score (other scores were pretty good)

For some odd reason, I am having a hard time doing the practice problems in the kaplan review book WITHOUT a periodic table. Is it just like that in the kaplan practice problems or is it necessary to be knowledgeable about general elements on the actual pcat.

For some odd reason, I am having a hard time doing the practice problems in the kaplan review book WITHOUT a periodic table. Is it just like that in the kaplan practice problems or is it necessary to be knowledgeable about general elements on the actual pcat.

Do you have an example of this?

On a side note, everybody should know their diatomic molecules, their halogens, some well-known oxidation states, ion numbers, and basic organization of the periodic table for periodicity purposes.

I have problems doin these questions too, such as asking what is the FW for MgSo4? They expect me to know the AMU for Mg within 2-3 AMU? How hard is the chem section if you don't know any Ochem.

I have problems doin these questions too, such as asking what is the FW for MgSo4? They expect me to know the AMU for Mg within 2-3 AMU? How hard is the chem section if you don't know any Ochem.

The question won't ask you to do such ridiculous questions, but if you use the process of elimination, you should be able to eliminate any answers that are less than 100 and greater than 150. That should give you an answer that's close enough for you to pick for MgSO4's FW.

The chem section does require you to know a fair bit of ochem basics. You don't need to memorize any ridiculous reactions, but you should know the basics about leaving groups, nucleophiles, electrophiles, and processes which involve electron/proton transfers and bond linkages. (Note, if you have no idea what i'm talking about, you don't know enough ochem to take the exam)

Yeah i definitely don't know enough! I havem;t even taken Ochem but my school allows me to take it before i take the class, weird but possible since it's only 30-40% of the exam and i onnly need to score over a 55 composite. What is that like getting 60% right in each category?