Periodic Table

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nonzerosum

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Will there be any questions on the PCAT that refers the perodic table or require knowing the electron configuration? because I used the perodic table to figure out the config?

I know a pt is not given just want to know if I should start memorizing

So would something like the qs below be on the PCAT

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 1 Which of the following groups of the periodic table contains alkali metals?. and you're given group AI AII, etc...

3. How many protons does Mg have?

4. What is the electron config of Ca2+?


thanks
 
I imagine there will be questions like that so I would definitely go over and be familiar with the table.

From what I've gathered on the forums and on the practice exam, they usually give additional information like Mass Number or something that is required to figure out the problem. Like they'll say atom X has a mass number of 42 and has 22 neutrons. How many protons does it have?

I've also gathered that the real exam is more difficult than the practice exams so this upcoming exam could be harder than that.

With that said, there was one question on the practice exam that asked which compound had ionic bonds. The only way to know that was to look at each molecule and determine if it was a metal bonded to a non-metal.
 
thanks,

just one more question,

what's the difference between pyruvate and pyruvic acid in respiration? Do they play different roles or are they the same?

thanks again