peripheral blood smear

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aashkab

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know of rough ballparks of how many of each cell type i'm supposed to see? i don't have a feel for when each cell type is "-penic" or "-osis" yet.

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt they'll give you a smear that doesn't have something obvious in it. That is, if you see tons of huge blast cells, it's a blood cancer. If they tell you it's a urine sample and there are WBCs in it, it's an infection, etc. We aren't pathologists.

I doubt they'll give you a smear that doesn't have something obvious in it. That is, if you see tons of huge blast cells, it's a blood cancer. If they tell you it's a urine sample and there are WBCs in it, it's an infection, etc. We aren't pathologists.

Well even pathologists require a whole description of what sample they receive from physicians, including differential diagnosis. It would be very absurd if there's a question about a smear on step1 without any description and just like you said, UNLESS something is really damn obvious for example a haemoflagellate with an undulating membrane.