Perks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Curare

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:cool::cool:

I thought I would start a list of perks that applicants and residents have been offered offline. I was surprised by how many offline perks I was offered in the interviews. I am not counting the free medical care. Please list yours on here.

(1) Broadway show tickets
(2) Season tickets to MLB
(3) Season tickets to NFL
(4) Season tickets to college football
(5) Season tickets to college basketball (no NBA yet)
(6) Free use of beach house
(7) Scholarship to elite private school for junior high age daughter
(8) Free use of boat anytime
(9) One free ticket anywhere in the world once a year
(10) Group rate car insurance
(11) Free horse riding lessons
(12)

Members don't see this ad.

(12) Free ride on the space shuttle (round trip, includes Tang powdered beverage - just like the astronauts drink!)

(12) Free ride on the space shuttle (round trip, includes Tang powdered beverage - just like the astronauts drink!)

(13) Well stocked call rooms with toilet paper and running water
(14) Genetic engineering to improve my "radio face"
(15) $7/hour "80" hour a week job with 3 weeks vacation a year

Members don't see this ad :)
Coastie and UMMS FMD, thanks for hijacking my thread. I will look for threads you start and make sure I return the favor!!:idea:

If you were serious about those "perks", then please, tell us where you applied, because obviously I need to drop out and go through the match again.

Coastie and UMMS FMD, thanks for hijacking my thread. I will look for threads you start and make sure I return the favor!!:idea:

:D

Sorry to hijack your thread. No one's offered anything like the things you mentioned so I'm obviously interviewing at the wrong places! No harm intended... ;)

yeah i have a feeling those perks aren't exactly as advertised. for example, one of the attendings has season tix to...let's say the dolphins...and during hurricane-force winds, will let a chief resident of his choosing use the tix.

If you were serious about those "perks", then please, tell us where you applied, because obviously I need to drop out and go through the match again.

Like I previously said these are OFFLINE perks. So your argument is because YOU weren't offered any perks during interviewing they don't exist?? We would have found out about more if you wouldn't have hijacked the thread. I doubt I was the only extremely qualified applicant to interview at these programs. Which reminds me of another....

Please list yours on here.

(12) country club membership with cheap Tee time

wow, he's getting a little pushy with this?

Like I previously said these are OFFLINE perks. So your argument is because YOU weren't offered any perks during interviewing they don't exist?? We would have found out about more if you wouldn't have hijacked the thread. I doubt I was the only extremely qualified applicant to interview at these programs. Which reminds me of another....

:laugh:

Please don't come to my program.

why not? he's an "extremely qualified applicant," in his words. (a legend in his own mind)...although he also writes that he's been calling programs who didn't offer him interviews. maybe still looking for those nba season tix.

why not? he's an "extremely qualified applicant," in his words. (a legend in his own mind)...although he also writes that he's been calling programs who didn't offer him interviews. maybe still looking for those nba season tix.

If you and coastie have nothing to contribute to this thread please move along. The call of duty 4 thread needs you.

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't know bout your offline country club, but i've never known full fledged members to have to pay for a tee time. what kind of ghetto club were they offering? i would have been offended

so far i've been offered a maserati, a sicilian beach house, a private jet, ownership of a minor league baseball team, and a personal assistant.

too bad i was more interested in the education, caseload, and working environment...

i don't know bout your offline country club, but i've never known full fledged members to have to pay for a tee time. what kind of ghetto club were they offering? i would have been offended

so far i've been offered a maserati, a sicilian beach house, a private jet, ownership of a minor league baseball team, and a personal assistant.

too bad i was more interested in the education, caseload, and working environment...

i know...public courses might charge you green fees. wow, a hole in curare's story? no way!

I got COD4 for the ole' PC last night. What a beautiful game!
please lane, keep it to yourself! we're trying to discuss serious business here!

Obviously you guys interviewed and the interviewers felt they either didn't need anything to entice you to go there or they could care less whether you ranked them. Please don't take it out on me! I am sorry for your loss! Now move on to your perkless life!

If you are as uncooperative to others as you have been to me I think I understand why....

Don't you wonder why all the other residents are golfing or fishing with the Faculty and you are left to cover the shifts?

Your portion of this thread went from annoying to amusing. At first I thought for sure everyone else was offered something equivalent and I wanted more or would hold out for something else, now I realize that isn't true and all I can say is thanks for covering my shift while I enjoy these perks.:eek:

Obviously you guys interviewed and the interviewers felt they either didn't need anything to entice you to go there or they could care less whether you ranked them. Please don't take it out on me! I am sorry for your loss! Now move on to your perkless life!

If you are as uncooperative to others as you have been to me I think I understand why....

Don't you wonder why all the other residents are golfing or fishing with the Faculty and you are left to cover the shifts?

Your portion of this thread went from annoying to amusing. At first I thought for sure everyone else was offered something equivalent and I wanted more or would hold out for something else, now I realize that isn't true and all I can say is thanks for covering my shift while I enjoy these perks.:eek:

bowrofl.gif

hey guys, i don't know, maybe the OP isn't full of it. After all, we don't know where he's interviewing. All I know is that if someone offered me a golf level country club membership for coming to a certain program, I would probably question their ability to attract residents based on, oh I don't know, case variety, quality of education, fellowship and job opportunities You know, the gifts that keep on giving....

Here's a real perk for you though...not "offline" but cool....at BID you can get 2 tickets to Fenway for $5 if they're not sold out for a game just for having a BID ID card (BID is the "offical hospital" of the Red Sox). Kinda cool unless you're a Yankee fan I suppose.

After all, we don't know where he's interviewing. All I know is that if someone offered me a golf level country club membership for coming to a certain program, I would probably question their ability to attract residents based on, oh I don't know, case variety, quality of education, fellowship and job opportunities You know, the gifts that keep on giving....

i know, he seems to equate "offline perks" (huh?) with his own self-worth. i think it has a little more to do with the quality, or lack thereof, of the programs that have offered him an interview.

Curare: "Hey, Chief resident, mind if I leave early tonight for my box seat at the NFL game?"

Chief: "Um, you're on OB call tonight, Mr. CA-1."

Curare: "Yeah, but, you see, I've got these perks..."

Chief: "Oh, well then, and now you have your perks, and ... this OB pager. And 6 laboring fatties. Enjoy your evening. Try not to wet tap, I hear they take away the country club perks if you get intrathecal."

You're making this forum amusing again! If anyone knows of a program where the call schedule is so easily modified that you'll be "left to cover the shifts" while golden boy gets a foot massage from the PD's wife... please, do tell.

Curare: "Hey, Chief resident, mind if I leave early tonight for my box seat at the NFL game?"

Chief: "Oh, well then, and now you have your perks, and ... this OB pager. And 6 laboring fatties. Enjoy your evening. Try not to wet tap, I hear they take away the country club perks if you get intrathecal."

You're making this forum amusing again! If anyone knows of a program where the call schedule is so easily modified that you'll be "left to cover the shifts" while golden boy gets a foot massage from the PD's wife... please, do tell.

Hijack your thread? Tool, many of us are highly qualified. This stuff doesnt get offered.

FOr those who are going through this process, dont worry if you havent been offered these perks. It doesnt happen

Well I for one am very glad to see this thread - I'm going to start asking what offline perks there are in all of my interviews and just see what I can come away with.

Hijack your thread? Tool, many of us are highly qualified. This stuff doesnt get offered.

FOr those who are going through this process, dont worry if you havent been offered these perks. It doesnt happen

Sounds like a lot of unhappy residents, I would love to know where you and some of your cohorts are at. I would laugh if it were the places that offered me perks. I stand behind what I wrote.

I think you residents should let us know where you are at!!!

I interviewed at one very highly thought of place (but small) that has its pick. I asked the PD what he wanted from a resident. He said I get the pick of the top students so I want someone that can be nice and work well with others at 3 am in the morning.

A lot of you residents can't even be nice and cooperate on a web board anonymously during the day let alone at a hospital at 3 am in the morning.

What about good grammar and a sense of humor?

Sounds like a lot of unhappy residents, I would love to know where you and some of your cohorts are at. I would laugh if it were the places that offered me perks. I stand behind what I wrote.

I think you residents should let us know where you are at!!!

I interviewed at one very highly thought of place (but small) that has its pick. I asked the PD what he wanted from a resident. He said I get the pick of the top students so I want someone that can be nice and work well with others at 3 am in the morning.

A lot of you residents can't even be nice and cooperate on a web board anonymously during the day let alone at a hospital at 3 am in the morning.

Well I for one am very glad to see this thread - I'm going to start asking what offline perks there are in all of my interviews and just see what I can come away with.

excellent idea.

he almost seems like maybe a nursing student or layperson who THINKS residents are treated like kings, and is just throwing this out there to see if it's true. anyone else get this impression? honestly, it doesn't ring true in the least. and btw, physicians (except maybe ER) don't refer to calls as "shifts." that's a nursing thing.

so...what programs offered these "perks"? he won't even name one, i guarantee it.

Don't you wonder why all the other residents are golfing or fishing with the Faculty and you are left to cover the shifts?...all I can say is thanks for covering my shift while I enjoy these perks.:eek:

when med students talk like this, we usually say "he needs to learn a life lesson..."

and take them behind the hospital and beat them.

he almost seems like maybe a nursing student or layperson who THINKS residents are treated like kings, and is just throwing this out there to see if it's true. anyone else get this impression? honestly, it doesn't ring true in the least. and btw, physicians (except maybe ER) don't refer to calls as "shifts." that's a nursing thing.

so...what programs offered these "perks"? he won't even name one, i guarantee it.

when med students talk like this, we usually say "he needs to learn a life lesson..."

and take them behind the hospital and beat them.

there are some current residents who definitely don't want this to be true. They go so far as to try and attack me. It seems to me if it weren't true you could just leave it alone but that fact that you come repeatedly shows that you know it could be true and you aren't part of the perkful residents.

Suggestion, try coming across as being able to work well with the faculty and others. Sounds like you need to learn a lot of life lessons.

It seems to me if it weren't true you could just leave it alone but that fact that you come repeatedly shows that you know it could be true and you aren't part of the perkful residents.

what were the names of those programs, nurse?

Suggestion, try coming across as being able to work well with the faculty and others.

that why you just sent me a PM titled "shut up dumb ass"?

you're too much. good luck in the match!

Actually I think it goes more like this if I tell which programs they were:

Faculty#1: Faculty#2 you interviewed Curare and after a one hour interview you offered him two of your four season tickets to the Boston Red Sox?
Faculty#2: Yes I did. But if you remember it actually turned into a two hour interview with applicant Curare the interview went so well.
Faculty#1: But Faculty#2 you had only just met Curare and you offered him those season tickets and you have known resident Trisomy13 for over a year and you haven't offered him anything.
Faculty#2: Have you tried to work with Trisomy13, I can't stand 5 minutes working with him let alone a two hour interview let alone a three and a half hour redsox game.
Faculty#1: Good point. If Curare comes here do you think he will want to go to the Bruins games with me?

that why you just sent me a PM titled "shut up dumb ass"?

you're too much. good luck in the match!

Gasnewby,

that is another of life's lessons you need to learn. If something is private between two people you shouldn't go broadcasting it. You must be a joy to work with! I am sure coworkers can assume you will keep private things private.

The OP was just posting some interesting things that were out there.

A little humor was injected and now we're at b!tch slapping one another.

Lets cool it folks. Its all good.

We got bigger things to focus our angst/anger upon.

BTW, the COD4 needs EVERYONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.