permission to apply denied

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, my application process is done for this year. Just got the email from personnel today and they're not allowing me to apply this year. Maybe next year...

> From: AFPC/DPPRS
> Sent: Monday, July 19, 2004 9:29 AM
> To: 62 MSS/DPMAR
> Cc: MOOSEPILOT
> Subject: PERMISSION TO APPLY FOR USUHS
>
> UNCLAS
>
> SUBJECT: PERMISSION TO APPLY - MOOSEPILOT
>
> 1. PLEASE ADVISE MEMBER THAT "THE SECRETARY OF THE AIR FORCE DECLINES
> TO APPROVE THE REQUEST FOR PERMISSION TO APPLY FOR ADMISSION TO THE
> UNIFORMED SERVICES UNIVERSITY OF HEALTH SCIENCES SUBMITTED ON MAY 10,
> 2004, BY MOOSEPILOT."
>
> 2. POC FOR THIS MESSAGE IS HQ AFPC/DPPRS, DSN 665-3769
>
> THIS DOCUMENT USED TO CONTAIN FOUO AND/OR PRIVACY ACT INFORMATION WHICH WAS REMOVED PRIOR TO FURTHER DISCLOSURE.
 
Sorry to hear that. That sucks. What's your commitment situation? I was able to sell it to AFPC because I could separate prior to having to take another assignment so I wouldn't be returning to the jet regardless of their approval. But if they approved my application, I could still serve the AF. Amazingly, someone in San Antonio had some common sense. I'll bet you're too valuable in your current assignment, eh?
 
Sorry MoosePilot!

I know another year seems like a long time to wait, but stick it out and it'll pass before you know it! I counted up the other day and it took me 6 years from seriously considering going to medical school to the day I started. I did two deployments to the Med....had to go back to night school to do some pre-reqs while on active duty....then study for the MCAT...then the application process....You can do it too! We've all been in tougher spots, just keep the motivation up by hanging with us here and reading journal or textbooks and maybe doing some volunteer work.

Wish their was more I could say or do, but I know you're disappointed. We're all pulling for ya!


Spang

PS: I was 34 when I started and am the oldest student in my class. Don't think that your best years are passing you by, they're still ahead! 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks, guys that really helps!

Yeah, my obligation is over on 2 Oct 06. So if they approve me next summer, they're only losing 2 months. If they don't approve it, I'm going to set a separation date. I don't know if USUHS would still require approval if I have a separation date picked in time for me to be able to enter their class in Fall 2007 or not.

As far as taking night classes, I'm actually looking for a couple of upper division science classes. Anyone know a really flexible way to take one class a semester or so with deployments almost guaranteed?
 
Hi Moosepilot.

Sorry to hear about the denial. I wasn't a pilot, but I was active duty AF before I received the HPSP to attend school. I don't quite remember, but I don't think that I had to have approval to apply for civilian programs like I did for USUHS. Maybe you could pursue that channel; apply the civilian route and then apply for the HPSP. I think that the board meets in January. I'm pretty sure that once they know that you have a definite spot in the class of 2009 that someone would show enough intelligence to release you to attend school.

However things work out, keep on pursuing your dreams. I was 31, a wife, and mother when I matriculated as a MSI. If I can do it, I know that you will be a successful med student and doc!

Cyndi
 
MoosePilot, I'm sincerely disappointed for you. But, please, like Spang said, hang in there. You transport pilots are too valuable to get let out early, considering world events.

My flying commitment expired Aug 2003 and I got out Aug 2003. I don't think they would have let me out a day earlier, I was on the hook to get extended a year and would have had to request deferments from school and the HPSP. Fortunately that didn't happen.

On the positive side, you have that many more paychecks to save up for the inevitable "poor med student" days. Going from O-3 with flight pay to inactive O-1 with nada really bites.

University of Phoenix Online has a butt-ton of online/correspondence courses, give them a look. I know my sister took an Organic Chem correspondence course through them.

Please hang in there and please stay with us on SDN. I enjoy your posts. Fly safe.
 
Cyndi, Globus P, I'll definitely stick around. This forum is great for both information and support. I think it's really a trait in the military to stick together and I've had nothing but support from the folks here. Thanks for mentioning your experiences. I'll stick with the process and get it when the time is right. I never wanted to short the military any time, just pay it back in a different specialty. This way I will be able to save up more money, build up the equity on my house, and rack up a few more flight hours and some more credibility should I ever become a flight surgeon. This means I'll get senior pilot wings before I separate, which will be kinda a cool touch on a 2Lt uniform some day 😀
 
Sorry to read of your denial for application to USUHS. cdreed makes a good point regarding HPSP; I was released from active duty early to attend med school this year (class of 2008) on an HPSP scholarship. My contract reflects my remaining active duty time as an add-on to my total 8 year obligation under HPSP. In the Army you still have to get permission via your chain of command for a release but if your immediate commander endorses it, it seems to go through fairly quickly. The only potential problem is if you are deployed OCONUS, these requests for an early out stall until you return home. Drive-on! I am now 36 and after 6 years of getting set to attend med school will def. be the old man in my class.
 
cptms said:
Sor I was released from active duty early to attend med school this year (class of 2008) on an HPSP scholarship. My contract reflects my remaining active duty time as an add-on to my total 8 year obligation under HPSP.

Same deal here. I have an extra year added to my HPSP commitment for the year I didn't serve for my instructor upgrade.
 
sorry to hear about the news-- we were all pulling for you. if it's any solace, starting a year later in medicine isn't really that much in the long run. just another year you don't have to worry about studying, lol 🙂

your friendly neighborhood not a pilot 😉 caveman
 
MoosePilot said:
Well, my application process is done for this year. Just got the email from personnel today and they're not allowing me to apply this year. Maybe next year...

Hang in there Moose Man -

Don't let them keep you down. Keep your head up and do your thing. I remember the grunts stomping all over my ambition (when we were not even at war).

In this heated climate that we face today, I understand them not wanting to let you go and I know you understand this as well. But like I said...just keep your head up..you know where you are headed, don't let anything get in your way!
 
Thanks again, everyone. The support really means a lot. You wouldn't believe how much it picked me up when this knocked me down the other day.
 
It's just one year. After it's all said and done, you'll look back and wonder why it even bothered you.

Just don't give up.

xmmd
 
Homunculus said:
hey milmd, would that be *before* or *after* you wonder why you ever joined the military to begin with??? :laugh: 😎 just kiddin' 😛

Definitely a "after" sentiment. It's always worse when you're suffering through an experience.

When I was overseas getting ready to return to do a fellowship, my detailer would not modify my orders to leave 10 days earlier because of some bureacratic reason....my relief had been on board for a month, so coverage was not a reason. I wanted to leave 10 days earlier so that I could take my fellowship board right after I finish my fellowship. Because I did not start my fellowship on time, I had to wait 2 years to take my boards (offered, at the time, only every 2 years)

I e-mailed my specialty advisor to ask for assistance. My specialty advisor advised me to take leave from my overseas command and check into my civilian fellowship, then take vacation from my fellowship and return to my overseas command to check out, then check into the ROTC command for administrative purposes, then return to my fellowship for training.....I was frustrated and pissed and depressed.....I ultimately decided to wait 2 years to take my fellowship boards......which was on September 8, 2001, a Saturday.

With the 9-11 attack I feared that because of the mail disruptions, that my boards would not get to where they needed to go.....

Now, after it is all said and done, it was just an experience I can tell my children, and things worked out in the end.

xmmd
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Moose, sorry to hear about your situation. FWIW though, things have a way of working out for the best. Maybe by next year you'll have been able to bank loads more cash in the bank to make life as a po' med student easier on ya.

Good luck, man! Hope you stick around SDN.

And thanks for your service, brother. 👍
 
XMMD (that's got a ring to it, doesn't it? Like a new sportscar or a nice bike) and EvoDevo,

Thanks for the sentiments. It is only one year or at worst two and I can save up some bank, volunteer, and maybe take a class or two if I can work out how. It's not so bad 😎
 
MoosePilot said:
Thanks for the sentiments. It is only one year or at worst two and I can save up some bank, volunteer, and maybe take a class or two if I can work out how. It's not so bad 😎

Good idea, look at it as having one more year to improve your application. Do everything that you can! Have you done any research yet? I'm not sure how feasible it would be for you to do any now, but it's something to think about.
 
Some research would be a good thing. Moosepilot, does your squadron have a physiologist in Flight Medicine? Perhaps you could hook up with one of your flight docs or the physiologist and participate in some sort of study.

I was just talking to some of these same folks at Luke Flight Med today. I am pretty excited because they seem to have a lot going on, and they think that they may be able to get me on some flights. That's a big deal for me!

Just continue to push for what you want. They won't tell you no forever.
 
Neither our flight docs or our flight physiologist (one) are actually controlled by the squadron, although we do have one of each assigned to my squadron, but I think it's just for purposes of what patch they wear and who they try to fly with first, if anything.

I will contact her to see if I can do any research. That's an interesting idea.
 
Sorry to hear about that, Moose. You'll just be that much stronger in the next app cycle.

You should've been a shipdriver, fortunately there's an overabundance of them... 😉
 
MoosePilot said:
Thanks, guys that really helps!

Yeah, my obligation is over on 2 Oct 06. So if they approve me next summer, they're only losing 2 months. If they don't approve it, I'm going to set a separation date. I don't know if USUHS would still require approval if I have a separation date picked in time for me to be able to enter their class in Fall 2007 or not.

As far as taking night classes, I'm actually looking for a couple of upper division science classes. Anyone know a really flexible way to take one class a semester or so with deployments almost guaranteed?


That sucks.

If they don't let you go next year, try for 2006 and take as much terminal leave as you can, to start on time.
 
Moose,
Evil administrators! Make the best of the time before med school. Heck, I decided to go in 1994, and had to wait until 1998 to go due to navy commitments, orders, etc.... Keep your chin up. Rob
 
r90t said:
Moose,
Evil administrators! Make the best of the time before med school. Heck, I decided to go in 1994, and had to wait until 1998 to go due to navy commitments, orders, etc.... Keep your chin up. Rob

Thanks. I should have emailed you, but I've been bummed about the whole thing and didn't think to.

Thanks for the good words. We need to get together sometime. Maybe after a week leave I've got next week. Yeah for leave (don't get to take too much of it).
 
Moose,
I'll repeat what everyone's said...that sucks! I always enjoyed your insight and calm, evenhanded comments. If you ever end up stuck at Langley for a couple of days PM me and we can get some coffee and donuts and bitch about the MCAT or Air Force, or whatever.

With your great stats (from what I've seen posted) I would think you will have little trouble in the future.

Good Luck!!
Z
 
Zappa said:
Moose,
I'll repeat what everyone's said...that sucks! I always enjoyed your insight and calm, evenhanded comments. If you ever end up stuck at Langley for a couple of days PM me and we can get some coffee and donuts and bitch about the MCAT or Air Force, or whatever.

With your great stats (from what I've seen posted) I would think you will have little trouble in the future.

Good Luck!!
Z

Thanks! I've never flown into Langley. I think the closest I've gotten was Andrews for banner missions, but I appreciate the offer. 🙂
 
We used to run up to Langley, like a 10 minute flight from NGU, and do touch and go's. I think they hated us up there because our COD uglied-up the place!

Spang