personal background check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stephie3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok one of the schools says they do a "personal background check". is this different from a criminal background check? (in other words, do they do a lot more like look at if you've ever been in counseling, employment verification, college clubs verification etc.?) b/c what if they contact somebody you used to work with or were in a club with that doesn't like you and tries to badmouth you or something? my ex-boyfriend was the president of one of the clubs i was in, so you could see why i would be worried... lol

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe some reconciliation is in order then huh? Lol I would be curious to know the answer to this question too. Maybe you should contact some of the students in the school to find out. Calling to ask the people in admissions might look shady...

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think schools care what a student president of a club thinks about you. I think they would only contact a senior professor that you were deeply involved with (maybe research). Even then, only under certain circumstances.

It's my understanding that they are concerned about licensure issues.

Think of it this way: you're the Dentist. Would you want your license on the line if someone working for you had Statutory Rape on their record?

It could cost them their career.

As a student you are essentially working for/with a Dentist and you have to be pretty clean. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

It's not a bad idea to have your background checked out anyway, though. Things can happen, mistakes can be made, Identity Theft and so on. If you're worried about it a lawyer might check it out for a small fee.

In my case there is a record of a female :eek: with my name, address, phone number, etc.

Pretty much my info but female. Weird. The system has kinks, but thankfully I (and my apparent female clone) are clean.