Personal Career Difficulties - Advice Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boxerman78

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am posting this question because I really feel like I am in a tight spot now and would like to hear what others in this field have to say. I have come to respect many of the opinions in this forum and hope that someone can shed some light for me.

Before I begin-- I will be bringing up Argosy University (Dallas) - but not in a way that should provoke too much controversy, so just bear with me :)

I think I should start with career goals because that will provide a good basis for objective viewpoints: Very briefly, I am wanting to become a licensed psychologist after finishing my PsyD with my area of interest being on the treatment of obesity/morbid obesity (things like binge eating disorder and other maladaptive eating behaviors of the obese). This treatment would be through a variety of fronts - biological-psychological-societal. Psychotherapy would probably be a large part of my day but I would also enjoy speaking on the subject, help develop a comprehensive program and even later in my career, teach at the university level (but more as a peon because I would probably not be interested in the extensive research that comes with the higher positions).

We are getting closer to the question now. I live in Texas, somewhat geographically limited to PsyD programs and am now set to begin a PsyD program at the Argosy in Dallas this Fall. By the way, I was not geographically limited in the first place and was willing to move. I ended up liking the convenience of Argosy aside from the fact that it is still many, many hours away and I will have to commute (consider that I have a wife secured in her own career and a baby -- there are limitations to my being able to jump up and move on a whim and the convenience was enticing). I was accepted in January and as time has passed, I stumbled upon a rather negative online review website. I was already concerned about the program not being APA yet, but understood that it is relatively new and in the process of accreditation. I was also already aware of negativity about the school in general, but it wasn't until I read those reviews back to back that I got very worried. After that I found this website and read the many threads about Argosy, some disheartening while at the same time some offered hope.

Here is where the question comes in. I have went back and reread some of the opinions on the other site and as my start date gets closer, I am getting more worried about how my degree might be frowned upon or limit my career in some way... in addition to the ridiculous amount of debt students have upon completion. I am wondering if it is worth it when I could perhaps go into other programs that won't end up letting me be an LP, but will allow me to still fulfill the career goals I mentioned above. By the way, I currently hold a MA in Clinical Psychology from a traditional university (somewhat unrelated but the PhD program at the university I earned my masters is APA accredited) that makes me eligible for an LPC-Intern position for now (was not interested in this at all before) so I could provide psychotherapy going that route, just at the master's level. The alternate programs I am speaking of are EdD or PhD in Counseling Psychology (less likely), or EdD in Educational Leadership. It could be my clinical work is based off of my master's degree while my future academic career could be based off my EdD. I realize I am somewhat rambling at this point, but it is right here where I am uncertain.

In the end, the primary question is: to meet my career goals, should I continue into Argosy, earn a PsyD, be in a lot more debt, become a LP...etc

Or what are your thoughts on avoiding Argosy, earn an EdD at a traditional university probably in educational leadership (yes, I have the option-different university from my MA though), become an LPC and practice in that fashion. Less debt too.

Don't get me wrong, being an LP is of great importance to me...but the bottom line is if it is better to have a looked down PsyD from Argosy and be a LP, or a respected traditional EdD with a LPC. Why not wait another year? That is a reasonable question, and the answer may be looked down upon, but there is a point where enough is enough - I have got to get into my career asap and have a full-time income, my wife and I both owe a lot more money than can be imagined on our educations to date and I honestly just don't have any more time to play with :(

I know the choice is ultimately mine - but I am interested in what you think this would do to my income potential, career opportunities and how you might approach this problem...I am especially interested because most of you are potential colleagues and I value what many of you respect in your peers.

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted in January and as time has passed, I stumbled upon a rather negative online review website. I was already concerned about the program not being APA yet, but understood that it is relatively new and in the process of accreditation.

Unfortunately I do not currently have the time to address everything in your post, but I wanted to respond to this particular point. I know more well-established programs--one also in Texas (not Argosy) that has been claiming they are in the "process of accreditation" for several years now. If they're not accredited when you apply/enter, I wouldn't count on them being accredited by the time that you leave. If it doesn't influence your decision, then so be it but you should at least be aware of the great possibility that they will not receive APA accreditation.

G'luck with your decision! :luck:

With my bias shining, I would do anything NOT to go to Argosy. Not so much because of a stigma after you get out, but the debt and hoops you would have to jump through to get internships and/or postdocs. I think a good rule is to be pragmatic and practical about ones graduate education. Go with the program and degree that serves your career goals...period. I would also add that I am happy to see that Baylor has moved into a heavier research mode. I understand its not for everyone, but the total separation of resesrch and practice is a little extreme in my view.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is going to sound like a knee jerk response and I will get flamed by several Psy.D. Professional School advocates, but I say RUN, RUN while you still can. It has a LOT not going for it.

1. High Debt
2. Not APA accredited
3. Distance and Opportunity Costs from your family
4. Possible limitations to your career. Many(If not all) Federal Jobs REQUIRE graduation from an APA accredited school.
5. There are MANY APA accredited programs in Texas so no need to accept one that isn't.

Mark

PS - Flame away, but this is not the best choice for him.

Go with your gut. Remember we are all "virtual strangers." Do what is best for you. Talk with your family, friends, people who know you and decided what is best for YOU.

Yes, we are for all intents & purposes strangers. However, family, friends, & "others" do not necessarily know what is best if they are ignorant of the wonderful world of psych and how it functions. I wouldn't advise to go with your "gut," but I would suggest that you make the best decision for yourself after you have taken into careful consideration all factors that are most imporant to you (& your family). Personally, if I had gone with my instinct, then I would still be on the dark side (aka, business/insurance world) as one of my profs recently called it, making a helluva lot more money AND great benefits than I currently do. It's not an easy decision to make and most people are going to be biased one way or another.

G'luck.

I agree, follow your gut. It's not so much that it's an Argosy school but that it's not APA accredited which will make your life so much more difficult once internship comes along. I'd go out on a limb and say you probably wouldn't get one or would be severely limited, especially considering how competitive it is. I attend a prof school that is accredited and have no problems with stigma, have an APA internship, etc. But it's the other qualities of the program that are concerning for you.

I agree...the problem is not having an APA accred. degree...Some Argosy campuses have solid training but you need to attend an APA program...

If you reapply to a different track, will you still be able to commute? Right now, I think Argosy has going for it, for you:

-Good location
-The ability for you to "get started" on your next career track
-The convenience of not having to apply again

Those are all valid reasons, but depending on where you are in your life (kids and marriage sometimes throw a monkey wrench into this process), they shouldn't be "enough" to keep you from doing another degree if you have reservations about the one you're about to start.

This is going to sound like a knee jerk response and I will get flamed by several Psy.D. Professional School advocates, but I say RUN, RUN while you still can. It has a LOT not going for it.

1. High Debt
2. Not APA accredited
3. Distance and Opportunity Costs from your family
4. Possible limitations to your career. Many(If not all) Federal Jobs REQUIRE graduation from an APA accredited school.
5. There are MANY APA accredited programs in Texas so no need to accept one that isn't.

Mark

PS - Flame away, but this is not the best choice for him.

I'm a "Prof. School advocate" and alumna - and totally agree - don't do it! You will have a hard enough time with the professional degree, and it NEEDS to be APA accredited.

Just given the debt load, you want to be as employable (and qualified) as possible - so you can repay those loans and survive! Hold off, or go for the Counseling Psych degree (a good option)... Argosy just has too many negatives.

just my advice. good luck!