Personal Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raleighzia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should we break our personal essay into paragraphs?

Members don't see this ad.

Uhm....yes? It's an essay...which usually consists of paragraphs. I'm not sure if I understand. You shouldn't just write one giant long paragraph, if that's what youre asking.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay. Thanks for your input as I was not quite sure. Does it necessarily have to be intro body and conclusion? Can it be just broken into paragraphs based on what we are talking about?

Members don't see this ad :)
The essay's purpose is to give them a background about yourself, but it also shows them your writing ability. If the essay doesn't have structure, they may think that you do not know how to write a proper essay. But I am no expert so make sure to read the essay tips on sdn.

Does it have to have a title? I noticed that "Optometry Essay" is automatically placed into the title area. Is it okay to leave it as is. I just don't want to sound corny.

it says to name each essay with the name of the school that you are going to send it to. if you have a generic essay, then you do not need to name it specific to each school.

Here's what OptomCAS says. It really helps to just read the site

"After you save your essay(s), you may upload them to be sent to the appropriate designated schools in the "School Designations" section found at the end of the application. We encourage you to name each essay to correspond with the name of each school. "

Yeah, I read this already. I have a generic essay, but I didn't know if the schools would frown on me not actually putting an effort into making up my own title.

oh ok
yeah i dont think you need to have a specific title