Personal essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vasoolraja

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering PharmD/PhD dual degree program; I am mainly interested in working as a pharmacist but I also enjoy research. However, I don't want to give the adcoms an impression that I am only interested in research, so in my personal essay, after telling why I want to persue the PharmD program, can I also mention:

"I am also fond of teaching and conducting research, and I would like to explore the possibility of pursuing the PharmD/PhD joint degree program"

What is your opinion on adding such a sentence. I feel such a sentence is subtle and gives a hint that I like PharmD/PhD but I am also open to doing PharmD without PhD. I would appreciate you comments and suggestions in this regard. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am considering PharmD/PhD dual degree program; I am mainly interested in working as a pharmacist but I also enjoy research. However, I don't want to give the adcoms an impression that I am only interested in research, so in my personal essay, after telling why I want to persue the PharmD program, can I also mention:

"I am also fond of teaching and conducting research, and I would like to explore the possibility of pursuing the PharmD/PhD joint degree program"

What is your opinion on adding such a sentence. I feel such a sentence is subtle and gives a hint that I like PharmD/PhD but I am also open to doing PharmD without PhD. I would appreciate you comments and suggestions in this regard. Thanks!

I doubt that AdCom would mind. As long as you can prove to them that you are passionate about the pharmacy side of things I think you should be OK. A couple of sentences explaining your interests in obtaining a PhD as well should suffice.