Personal experiences in PS

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by solid snake, Jul 24, 2002.

1. solid snake

solid snake Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Is it ok if we have high school experiences that influence us to become doctors to write about it in our personal statements?

With if it's the bulk of your experiences?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. I think it's fine to write about it if that's where your desire to enter medicine came from. Be sure to include anecdotes from college that illustrate why you're still interested in medicine or how you came to further realize this was what you wanted to do, etc.

4. jot

jot

i had an important experience for myself from the summer before college - and i think it works ok. but yeah - i would write about recent stuff as well. i'm not sure how far back i would dig though - 9th grade might seem a little dated.

5. LizardKing

LizardKing Veteran Member
    7+ Year Member

If it's the reason, then it's no problem at all to put it in. They're looking for the motivation, whether that came recently or a few years back. No big deal.

6. tatabox80

tatabox80 Super-Duper Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I know one of the things that influenced my desire to become a doctor is my father's battle with various health problems. He's had both cancer and a serious head injury prior to me entering college. Did you also have some experiences in college where you furthered your interest in medicine?