• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Personal Health as BCPM?

GrindLikeFolgers

May 18, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey everyone! I took this class expecting it to be a general health class, but it was more heavy on the biology part (objective 4). Can i get away with classifying it as BCPM for this one?

Here is the full description:
Course Overview: The purpose of this class is to give the student insight into the
various aspects of personal health and wellness. The student will gain an
understanding of the application of health and wellness principles in one's life as a
matter of personal responsibility. The course will be conducted as a combination
of lectures, discussions, and other in-class activities.

Objectives:
1. The student will be able to define "health" & "wellness" in a modern perspective.
2. The student will be conversant on current health issues/topics.
3. The student will be able to enhance his/her own health status.
4. The class will promote a better self-understanding by comprehending the primary
functions and structures of the human body as they relate to health and disease
processes.

Thanks!

TheDataKing

limeyguydr incognito
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
May 16, 2018
  1. Medical Student
Hey everyone! I took this class expecting it to be a general health class, but it was more heavy on the biology part (objective 4). Can i get away with classifying it as BCPM for this one?

Here is the full description:
Course Overview: The purpose of this class is to give the student insight into the
various aspects of personal health and wellness. The student will gain an
understanding of the application of health and wellness principles in one's life as a
matter of personal responsibility. The course will be conducted as a combination
of lectures, discussions, and other in-class activities.

Objectives:
1. The student will be able to define "health" & "wellness" in a modern perspective.
2. The student will be conversant on current health issues/topics.
3. The student will be able to enhance his/her own health status.
4. The class will promote a better self-understanding by comprehending the primary
functions and structures of the human body as they relate to health and disease
processes.

Thanks!
I highly doubt it unless this course was in a science department. That said, you can always try. Just follow this for the most part to decide

About the Ads

M&L

Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2018
  1. Medical Student
Its listed as Community Health 101 :/
yeah, its a no. As someone who had over 300 credit hours to put in from 5 different universities (non-traditional), and spent A LOT OF TIME on the phone with those people in AMCAS trying to figure things out, i can tell you for sure, that they go off the school codes. If it is BIO or CHEM, or something like that, - than it is science. Not - then no.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
yeah, its a no. As someone who had over 300 credit hours to put in from 5 different universities (non-traditional), and spent A LOT OF TIME on the phone with those people in AMCAS trying to figure things out, i can tell you for sure, that they go off the school codes. If it is BIO or CHEM, or something like that, - than it is science. Not - then no.
That is incorrect . When AMCAS verifies courses, it automatically runs the transcript thru the National Student Clearing House database of course catalog descriptions. This has a rules or knowledge based system that primarily works 1) identifying science/math words in the description and 2) the ratio of science/math terms to total words in the description. This leads to some probability score with say the lower third are clearly not science, the upper third are clearly science, and the middle third needing to be decided by verifier. I believe the system will pop-up the course description when the course is clicked on. This allows the verifier to read it, decide and move on. Of course the vast majority of BCPM come from those departments but there is a plethora of other departments that will have science courses such as neuro-psychology or some engineering courses

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast..._amcas_2021_applicant_guide_42220.pdf#page=79
1590358173141.png

Reactions: 3 users

GreenDuck12

7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
  1. Medical Student
That is incorrect . When AMCAS verifies courses, it automatically runs the transcript thru the National Student Clearing House database of course catalog descriptions. This has a rules or knowledge based system that primarily works 1) identifying science/math words in the description and 2) the ratio of science/math terms to total words in the description. This leads to some probability score with say the lower third are clearly not science, the upper third are clearly science, and the middle third needing to be decided by verifier. I believe the system will pop-up the course description when the course is clicked on. This allows the verifier to read it, decide and move on. Of course the vast majority of BCPM come from those departments but there is a plethora of other departments that will have science courses such as neuro-psychology or some engineering courses

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast..._amcas_2021_applicant_guide_42220.pdf#page=79
View attachment 307476

So should the OP list it as BPCM?

M&L

Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2018
  1. Medical Student

View attachment 307476
well i stay corrected then. Thats what the lady told me over the phone, but she might ve been wrong.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.