Personal injury law deposition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocHoliday84

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a voicemail from a personal injury law firm asking me for a deposition. I haven't called them back yet, was wondering if anyone has experience with this? From searching on google I gather that they typically pay you for this? I am pretty busy right now and I don't care much for these firms so my baseline level of interest is very low. I am just curious what others have experienced with these, especially in terms of pay or if there is any nonsense I can expect if I call them back.

Members don't see this ad.

$$$$$$

Time to make some money.

Tell them you’ll charge $500/hr for preparing expert witness report and chart review.

If being deposed or have to appear in court, ask to be paid $2000 per day.

You’ve got nothing to lose by asking them this.

Worst case scenario, they’ll find someone cheaper and you’ll move on with your life.

Best case scenario, you get paid a kings ransom for non clinical work that’s much less stressful.

Reactions: 8 users
If it is expert witness testimony, ie, my opinion, I send them a fee schedule and wait for a response. Moving forward, all chart review, time on phone, deposition time, time in court is billed at those predetermined rates. If no agreement, then no contact,

How much you charge is 100% up to you. If they think you’re too expensive, they’ll get someone else. I charge a lot, because, 1) I think I’m worth it and, 2) Any fee they pay me is a drop in the bucket compared to whatever settlement they’re going after.

Strongly consider charging up front as many doctors have be stiffed by attorneys who refuse to pay, knowing the chances of you paying another lawyer to sue them to get the fee from them, is low.

I only do this type of work as a favor to attorneys I know and trust, because I don’t particularly like it. I pays good, though.

If a fact witness, there’s no charge, but they get nothing, but me reading my medical records back to them, verbatim. They generally don’t bother with this as they almost always want your opinion.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
$$$$$$

Time to make some money.

Tell them you’ll charge $500/hr for preparing expert witness report and chart review.

Worst case scenario, they’ll find someone cheaper and you’ll move on with your life.

Best case scenario, you get paid a kings ransom for non clinical work that’s much less stressful.
$5000 for deposition or court...

Reactions: 2 users
Fee schedule

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 5.26.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 5.26.55 PM.png
    408.9 KB · Views: 159
Reactions: 3 users
$$$$$$

Time to make some money.

Way too cheap - I charge that much and I'm not a physician.

How much is your day worth now? I'm guessing it's more than $2k. Gotta take a day off work? You haven't even broken even.

Basic chart review and any and all contact with the attorney after initial contact is all billed at an hourly rate. Draw up a contract - there are actually a number of expert witness sample contracts online, both free and for a fee. Any depositions or trial work should have minimum hours. My first paid depo lasted less than 90 minutes - I charged for a four hour minimum. Trial is 8. Don't forget travel and expenses, including mileage. Nothing is free.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Fee schedule

No kidding, this is what people charged ten years ago. Every other business and piece of &hit lawyer has upped their fees (my dry cleaner around the corner charges $14/shirt lol) post pandemic.

Add 20% minimum to the above schedule.

Anything I can do in my pajamas on the couch with a beer in my hand is billed at $500/h. Minimum is 5 hours and that’s the retainer.

Anything that requires me to get dressed (in person or not) is $750/h.

If I have to appear in front of a judge or a board of arbitration it’s $1000/hr with a $5k minimum paid in advance. Travel is $500/h plus expenses with a 2 hour minimum.

Reactions: 4 users
How many of y'all are legitimately doing this with any regularity? By y'all I mean EM docs.

Ok, looks like I underestimated myself.

Will keep that in mind, lol.

How many of y'all are legitimately doing this with any regularity? By y'all I mean EM docs.
I'm not EM, but I suspect that none of us are doing this with any real regularity (assuming you mean more than once or twice a year).

This kind of work isn't FU money is't more, "my spouse/partner/regular bang wants to go to some place it costs $10K just to fly to" money.

Reactions: 1 user
No kidding, this is what people charged ten years ago. Every other business and piece of &hit lawyer has upped their fees (my dry cleaner around the corner charges $14/shirt lol) post pandemic.

Add 20% minimum to the above schedule.
Hmm...Ironically, I did come up with that about 10 years ago. Maybe it's due for an update. "Sorry, guys. You know...'inflation.'"

I'm not EM, but I suspect that none of us are doing this with any real regularity (assuming you mean more than once or twice a year).
Truth be told, I haven't done expert witness work in a while and probably would turn any future offers down. I don't particularly enjoy it.

I do med mal work for my own side gig because i actually enjoy it and find it interesting. it definitely pays more hourly than clinical work, but it’s not always as steady or voluminous. I also maintain a schedule that makes depositions and trial testimony not painful.

If you don’t really think you’d enjoy the legal aspect of medical cases or the puzzle aspect of putting together abstract medical records into some thing that makes sense (akin to M&M), as stated above only offer to be a fact witness. This way you’re simply redundant To what you documented.

If they do, ultimately want you, as a fact, witness, I believe you can only testify if you were subpoenaed, in which case you are required to do so.

I was once subpoenaed by prosecutors office in a murder case and it was very annoying because I had to move my schedule around twice and wasted two days going to court when they didn’t even call me

As @Birdstrike said, insist on payment when you give your deposition. I've given depositions for several personal injury cases. Apollo provided attorney representation on my behalf free of charge (if it's within statute of limitations where the physician is at risk of being sued). All times the Apollo attorneys have insisted they bring a certified check to the deposition.

Be aware that if they resist your fees, they may subpoena you as a medical witness. Do not give them free expert testimony. Read your chart (a chart can only be read in court by its author; it can't simply be presented as evidence). If they ask any opinion questions, just tell them you aren't prepared to be an expert witness and haven't done enough research to qualify any opinions. "Doctor, was the bruise you documented consistent with a fist injury?" "I can only attest that there was a bruise that I documented as being present. I am not prepared to provide opinion as to what caused the bruise, how much force was used, or any other matter other than simply stating that I documented a bruise was present when I evaluated the patient."

I've done that a few times. Twice the defense counsel laughed when I explicitly said "I haven't researched enough to be an expert witness" after plaintiff's counsel asked the court to recognize me as an expert witness. Once the defense counsel said "your honor, I'm going to formally object, but even the doctor is objecting so I don't think I really need to object. He obviously isn't prepared to serve as an expert witness."

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Thanks guys, these responses have been amazingly helpful. I spoke with them on the phone and just asked what they would pay and the response was that the physician determines that, so I made a fee schedule and sent it (thanks Birdstrike for the example). Here is a question, if they hire me, do I need a lawyer of my own involved in this in any way? or I can just use an example on the internet to write a contract to send them for myself?

I do med mal work for my own side gig because i actually enjoy it and find it interesting. it definitely pays more hourly than clinical work, but it’s not always as steady or voluminous. I also maintain a schedule that makes depositions and trial testimony not painful.

If you don’t really think you’d enjoy the legal aspect of medical cases or the puzzle aspect of putting together abstract medical records into some thing that makes sense (akin to M&M), as stated above only offer to be a fact witness. This way you’re simply redundant To what you documented.

If they do, ultimately want you, as a fact, witness, I believe you can only testify if you were subpoenaed, in which case you are required to do so.

I was once subpoenaed by prosecutors office in a murder case and it was very annoying because I had to move my schedule around twice and wasted two days going to court when they didn’t even call me

I don’t do it because it’s “not interesting”;
I don’t do it because it’s a shady gig, it’s retrospective speculation that is biased, cynical, and has played a large roll in ruining the specialty, the medicolegal climate in America is singularly 8ull**** among civilized countries, and docs who do this like Peter Rosen deserve to die in obscurity, friendless among their peers in the specialty.

FYI the DA office in certain west coast cities will subpoena docs as fact witnesses and try to get them to basically serve as expert witnesses for free. You know because you get subpoenaed via your work office via email or letter (not in person as would be required if you REALLY needed to show up) and then you come to find out you’re not the defendant, you are merely the doc of record in the case. Call them, ask them what they want, and these wet-behind-the-ear DAs will tell you they want you there because it’s necessary for you to testify about your care, what the story is etc. they are trying to get you to project what you think caused a particular injury in most cases, like give them your opinion that an injury was caused by assault and that the ramifications could be long lasting. I tell them if I’m a fact witness, what they want it already in the chart. If they want me as an expert witness, they need to pay me. Usually their next response is they try and intimidate and tell me I am obligated because of their subpoena to come and talk about the case. I laugh every time, and tell them it will be embarrassing for them, because if called to testify I will only read verbatim from the chart to the court, will not answer any question that asks me to clarify, instead I will continually repeat, “I have no recollection but what is already written in the medical record.”

I’ve gotten these about every two years. I’ve yet to be subpoenaed personally for anything, I’ve yet to ever present according to the email/letter subpoena, and there are no outstanding actions against me for failing to do so (I’ve checked).

These lawyers are cheap, low-life, scam artists. The real ones will call you and ask you to provide a fee schedule for your services and if you’re defending care, more power to you.

But if you’re making money impugning the doc who Fd up when you now have the retrospective diagnosis and no acknowledgment of the specific nuances on the case, ie all the crap that goes into the average ER docs day, I’ve no sympathy for you when you Peter Rosen yourself and your career.

There will be at least some doc that says “but truly egregious care, we should seek to root that out, and I’m just helping the poor plaintiff where real malpractice occurred !” This is nonsense. If/when real malpractice occurs, other countries simply prove it from the actual medical record and build a case around comparing that to the published standard of care. Only in America does a stuffed shirt “medical expert” , paid handsomely (no bias there!) go up on the stand and wax lyrically about his/her own interpretation of the literature and how far the defendant deviated from it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
You can get off your high horse. I provide initial reviews of cases for defense malpractice attorneys so they know how to deal with cases. i have a few other cases going on too, none of which involve throwing a physician under the bus.

Your bogeyman, Peter Rosen can’t profit anymore from expert witness work because of what happened. The opposing counsel simply shows that he was admonished by his own organization. Providing egregious testimony permanently damages your ability to be an expert witness.

Last edited:
You can get off your high horse. I provide initial reviews of cases for defense malpractice attorneys so they know how to deal with cases. i have a few other cases going on too, none of which involve throwing a physician under the bus.

Your bogeyman, Peter Rosen can’t profit anymore from expert witness work because of what happened. The opposing counsel simply shows that he was admonished by his own organization. Providing egregious testimony permanently damages your ability to be an expert witness.
Also, he’s dead…