jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
So I had my interview at UCSF today. It was like operating at 100 mph and can't stop, now I'm still at high revolutions. Let me share some of my thoughts about the interview and the school in no particular order. Amazingly SDN was not very helpful in prepping me for interview. Perhaps those who were interviewed before me did not want to have the rest of the pack to have an extra competition edge. Well for those people, I doubt they will get in UCSF anyways.

So here it goes...

* The Dean said something that touched my heart. He mentioned that we as dentist are really in the top echelon of the society. The top five percent, and that being in such high echelon, we have certain social ethics, and responsibilities to care for those who are less well off. And the ones who have helped us to be where we are today probably don't need help from us.
That really have meaning for me, to hear that from a dean who is in the top of his field. It was absolutely amazing. That social ethical responsibility feel resonates true in what they were looking for during the interview.

* Like other interviews, there are a lot of waiting around. All this waiting is fine and dandy, but when you are waiting in a room with other people, the unspoken, unconscious anxiety really fills the room. I was super nervous, and I had to resort to my meditation skills of imaging a bright glowing light travelling through my body.

* Like all interviews, I believe, the people there were anxious, despite all the efforts to look cool and calm. Maybe it really was me who was anxious as hell.

* The school really emphasized the following during interview... leadership, community service, volunteer, and exposure to dentistry. As expected, they don't care that much about the DAT and the GPA's the assumption is that everyone had those qualifcations.

* The interviewers, I thought, really wanted to be here and interview. They made a good effort to make me feel comfortable, and honestly, I was quite comfortable - almost too comfortable.

* UCSF offers the option to pursue in any science emphasizes one wants. If you want to be a researcher, it is available. If you want to be a clinician, it is right there.

* The school does have an air of social ethical responsiblity.

PERSONAL THOUGHTS (AKA BLOOGER)
I actually felt a certain connection with my second interviewer, who was a student. Somehow we connected and disconnected in a very subtle unconscious way. I don't know. I felt like certain questions I answered well. He was actually quite sensitive to make sure I feel comfortable, and I really tried to share something about myself that is true and sincere, not just the dental interview cocktail. Of course, I really love to go to UCSF. It is my number one choice. And after today, and it is definitely superbly my number one choice. The interviewers were so great. I love to be in the company of them. However, at this point, they already filled the class with 60 people who have turned in deposits, and they only have space for 20 more. I don't know what the chance/possibility is for me; and I will keep that open. I believe that I was able to be who I am today and to really share as much as I can under the conditions. I regret not emphasizing more on my models, and being too lax in my second interview.

I actually didn't expect to feel this way as I left the interview. During the day, it just felt really anxious, but now I actually feel some emotions welling up in me. Perhaps I'm just tired after a whole day, or the fact that the school's mission through the dean, and the interviewers really hit me. So... yeah. I hope I will be accepted. If not, then that is okay. The universe has its ways of opening doors for me. I trust in it.

Good luck to everyone, and for allowing me to have a forum to share this. I find that this forum doesn't have the emotional/personal touch which I hope this journal will add. There are so much frivolous humor, anxiety, some ugly bickering. But how often, do we see a post where one shares from their heart. How often as dentist, where we will have to socialize with our patients, and actually (as heretic as this may sound) care for them as an individual, not just a crown which I can bill insurance for 1000 dollars.

There was something touching today, and I really begin to feel that life is more than just studying, doing models, and earning money. At this point, it would be nice to wind down, however I've talked to 3 or 4 of my friends, and it just doesn't do it. I just need to go have a good dinner, and meditate. Good night from San Jose.

Qarmonist

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2004
Status
jk5177 said:
So I had my interview at UCSF today. It was like operating at 100 mph and can't stop, now I'm still at high revolutions. Let me share some of my thoughts about the interview and the school in no particular order. Amazingly SDN was not very helpful in prepping me for interview. Perhaps those who were interviewed before me did not want to have the rest of the pack to have an extra competition edge. Well for those people, I doubt they will get in UCSF anyways.

So here it goes...

* The Dean said something that touched my heart. He mentioned that we as dentist are really in the top echelon of the society. The top five percent, and that being in such high echelon, we have certain social ethics, and responsibilities to care for those who are less well off. And the ones who have helped us to be where we are today probably don't need help from us.
That really have meaning for me, to hear that from a dean who is in the top of his field. It was absolutely amazing. That social ethical responsibility feel resonates true in what they were looking for during the interview.

* Like other interviews, there are a lot of waiting around. All this waiting is fine and dandy, but when you are waiting in a room with other people, the unspoken, unconscious anxiety really fills the room. I was super nervous, and I had to resort to my meditation skills of imaging a bright glowing light travelling through my body.

* Like all interviews, I believe, the people there were anxious, despite all the efforts to look cool and calm. Maybe it really was me who was anxious as hell.

* The school really emphasized the following during interview... leadership, community service, volunteer, and exposure to dentistry. As expected, they don't care that much about the DAT and the GPA's the assumption is that everyone had those qualifcations.

* The interviewers, I thought, really wanted to be here and interview. They made a good effort to make me feel comfortable, and honestly, I was quite comfortable - almost too comfortable.

* UCSF offers the option to pursue in any science emphasizes one wants. If you want to be a researcher, it is available. If you want to be a clinician, it is right there.

* The school does have an air of social ethical responsiblity.

PERSONAL THOUGHTS (AKA BLOOGER)
I actually felt a certain connection with my second interviewer, who was a student. Somehow we connected and disconnected in a very subtle unconscious way. I don't know. I felt like certain questions I answered well. He was actually quite sensitive to make sure I feel comfortable, and I really tried to share something about myself that is true and sincere, not just the dental interview cocktail. Of course, I really love to go to UCSF. It is my number one choice. And after today, and it is definitely superbly my number one choice. The interviewers were so great. I love to be in the company of them. However, at this point, they already filled the class with 60 people who have turned in deposits, and they only have space for 20 more. I don't know what the chance/possibility is for me; and I will keep that open. I believe that I was able to be who I am today and to really share as much as I can under the conditions. I regret not emphasizing more on my models, and being too lax in my second interview.

I actually didn't expect to feel this way as I left the interview. During the day, it just felt really anxious, but now I actually feel some emotions welling up in me. Perhaps I'm just tired after a whole day, or the fact that the school's mission through the dean, and the interviewers really hit me. So... yeah. I hope I will be accepted. If not, then that is okay. The universe has its ways of opening doors for me. I trust in it.

Good luck to everyone, and for allowing me to have a forum to share this. I find that this forum doesn't have the emotional/personal touch which I hope this journal will add. There are so much frivolous humor, anxiety, some ugly bickering. But how often, do we see a post where one shares from their heart. How often as dentist, where we will have to socialize with our patients, and actually (as heretic as this may sound) care for them as an individual, not just a crown which I can bill insurance for 1000 dollars.

There was something touching today, and I really begin to feel that life is more than just studying, doing models, and earning money. At this point, it would be nice to wind down, however I've talked to 3 or 4 of my friends, and it just doesn't do it. I just need to go have a good dinner, and meditate. Good night from San Jose.
What was your gpa and DAT scores. Thanks

OP
jk5177

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
I've made a committment not to share my GPA nor my DAT scores with anyone on SDN either through postings or PM. It is just my policy. Through the years, I have not find that kind of sharing to be useful nor meaningful. If you are interested to know what chances you have and how you would match up to the school matriculant, I recommend simply going to their website and find their averages. That average will say more about the entering class, then a single number from me. I hope this helps.

Good luck to you.