Personal response to interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jammin06

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently I've wondererd how i'd respond when asked the interview question 'why do u want to go into medicine', i know there's no right or wrong answer. (well, there are a few straight up wrong answers, but that's besides the point). Of course almost everyone says its to help people, and more often than not its true. On top of this, i have a different reason. While still being the truth, it kinda seems sappy, and I don't know whether i should mention it in my app/interview.

A few years back, my father underwent quadrouple bypass surgery at the age of 42. Since then i've been extremely intrigued by cardiology in general and almost all of my volunteer work/research has been geared towards that field. I want to pursue medicine so i can kinda be that doctor that gives a father a second chance at life.

ok, yea, thas my answer to hte question, and it seems kinda sappy, but it is the honest truth. In a related question, can it be harmful to my app if i mention that I'm pretty adament on becoming a cardiologist? i know taht adcoms see many applicants that have tunnel vision, but i don't believe myself to fall into that category. any response would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

just think deeply about why you want to become a doctor. if those are the reasons that you come up with, then i think that is all the interviewers can ask of you. as far as your desire to become a cardiologist, it's something the adcom might want to know. i mean most everyone has an idea about what specialty they want to go into. however, your pursuit of medicine is just beginning and your interests may change. anything is possible.

its not sappy at all.

even though saying you want to help people is the usual and tired answer... it had better be EVERYONE"S answer, or at least one of them... this is a service field after all, and helping people is the goal. but you have a meaningful and very personal reason about WHY you want to help people, which is what i think they really look for.

I think that reason is a great one. A lot of applicants have been touched by personal experiences or tradgedies that have played largely in their desire to enter medicine.
In addition to what the others have said, I think that while you may be adamant about cardiology at this time, interviewers like to see an acknowledgement that you don't know everything or maybe even anything about medicine yet. They like to see you've thought about it, so your desire for cardiology definitely shows that, but also that you are flexible and realize that your interests may change. At least, that's my take from experience.