personal safety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When the off-duty police officer at the gun store was asked about the events surrounding shooting the robber, he said he did not see what happened because he dove behind a counter. He said he was well aware that over 6 people in the store had concealed carry weopons and he did not want to be hit in the cross fire. :thumbup:

"To Protect and To Serve". :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

"To Protect and To Serve". :rolleyes:

punish-enslave.jpg

I would have to wonder if that was actually a person commiting suicide, similar to suicide by cop.

Members don't see this ad :)
All I got out of that is that liberals are jeolous that they can't shoot as well as the women in Texas.

After all, if those stats were true, Texas would be leading the nation in homicides per capita. Its not even close to #1.

I bet Montana women can shoot better. And spit farther, too! :laugh:

I saw an episode of America's Most Wanted years ago. I wish there was a youtube of the video. A not so bright fugitive was wanted in several states for some serious felonies. He made the brilliant idea of going to a new state--Texas where he thought he would be under the radar.

He tried to mug an elderly lady. The lady pulled out a revolver out of her bag and the fugitive ran away. The lady screamed, causing everyone within the block to pull out their guns, and they all chased after the guy.

The video had about 20 people, all armed, all chasing this idiot. He unfortunately got away.

On the more serious side--and maybe it's my own selective hearing up here in the northern heartlands--but it seems to me for every such "heroic tale", there must be at least 5-10 examples of "I guess he shot himself with the handgun that Dad kept 'for protection'" or "8 year old kills playmate: parents thought gun was "safely hidden". :(

On the more serious side--and maybe it's my own selective hearing up here in the northern heartlands--but it seems to me for every such "heroic tale", there must be at least 5-10 examples of "I guess he shot himself with the handgun that Dad kept 'for protection'" or "8 year old kills playmate: parents thought gun was "safely hidden". :(

A gun's purpose is that of lethality. Why one would be welcome in your home is beyond me.

A gun's purpose is that of lethality. Why one would be welcome in your home is beyond me.

Well that's an easy one. To kill someone, should I need to.

A spoon's purpose is that of increasing food intake. Why one would be welcome in your home is beyond me.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Guns have other purposes beside lethality. They can be investments. Heirlooms. Pieces of history. Vehicle decorations. Wall decorations. And less often, paperweights, door stops, waist expanders, and purse weights. Their use is limited only by your imagination. But the most noteworthy function is the guarantor of freedom.

Spoons and guns are not a fair analogy. It's very hard to accidently kill someone with a spoon.

A gun is a very lethal weapon. In the hands of the responsible and just, it's fine, even a good thing. In the hands of idiots---very very bad. Unfortunately there's plenty of idiots out there.

Oops, I just mentioned a few posts ago I wouldn't get into the ethics of guns debate. Sorry.

You accidently feed your children too much via a spoon, that it establishes poor eating habits. We know how difficult it is to reverse eating habits established in childhood.

2/3 of our nation is overweight, half are obese. We all know first hand the ramifications of that. I posit the economic, mental health, physical, and loss of life or years of life is far greater from the common household spoon then it is from lawful gun ownership. Now, mixed with the belief of healthcare as a right, we are barreling down the path of economic collapse. Everything gets worse with economic collapse.

The downfall of many people is, has, and will be ... the spoon.

Spoons and guns are not a fair analogy. It's very hard to accidently kill someone with a spoon.

A gun is a very lethal weapon. In the hands of the responsible and just, it's fine, even a good thing. In the hands of idiots---very very bad. Unfortunately there's plenty of idiots out there.

Oops, I just mentioned a few posts ago I wouldn't get into the ethics of guns debate. Sorry.

FALSE. I had a patient consistently attempt to ingest everything on the unit, and a spoon was probably the worst of the items she choked down. So it could happen!

I fully support having a gun in the house to protect my family. From criminals. And zombies. And cyborgs. And criminal zombie cyborgs.

if those stats were true, Texas would be leading the nation in homicides per capita. Its not even close to #1.

I think you misunderstand. These studies show that guns are a risk factor for homicides/suicides. So, there are other risk factors, like income, substance abuse, etc. No-one is suggesting that gun ownership is the only factor involved.

For example, take another variable which may come into play: obesity. Texas is one of the fattest places in the world, almost 30% are obese.

Murdering would seem to be physically taxing. Not the pulling of the trigger part, but think about chopping up the body, burying it, etc. You'd definitely have to get up off the couch for at least part of that. So, it makes sense that your state's propensity for carnage might be counterbalanced by your love of Big Macs.:D

All I got out of that is that liberals are jeolous that they can't shoot as well as the women in Texas.

You mean, we can't shoot our women as well you can. The studies are clear: you got us there!

Members don't see this ad :)
A spoon's purpose is that of increasing food intake. Why one would be welcome in your home is beyond me.

It's frustrating to listen to some of this. Everyone here knows basic biostats right?

Let's stick with science and not philosophical exercises.

If you took obese kids and stratified or otherwise controlled for the usual variables (race, SES, etc), and then looked at 'utensil type', you probably wouldn't find a meaningful association. Your spoon vs. fork vs. spork table would be fairly uninteresting if you accounted for confounders.

Now, look at gun ownership. Honestly, have a look at those papers that were posted. You will find that the researchers accounted for a lot of things, including age, substance/ETOH abuse, and neighborhood (controls were taken from the nearby area in the first NEJM article).

If you think there's a reasonable variable that would account for the incredible rise in risk seen in gun owning homes, then that would be a productive debate.

Having said that, you'd have to come up with a phenomenal confounder to explain away the OR/RR in these studies (CI no lower than 1.6!!). If you look at high quality journals (JAMA, NEJM, etc) you'll find the evidence is pretty convincing that guns in the house are hazardous to you and your family. A pubmed search of "spoon versus fork" and "obesity"? Probably not as well supported :)

Last edited:
It's frustrating to listen to some of this. Everyone here knows basic biostats right?

Let's stick with science and not philosophical exercises.

If you took obese kids and stratified or otherwise controlled for the usual variables (race, SES, etc), and then looked at 'utensil type', you probably wouldn't find a meaningful association. Your spoon vs. fork vs. spork table would be fairly uninteresting if you accounted for confounders.

Now, look at gun ownership. Honestly, have a look at those papers that were posted. You will find that the researchers accounted for a lot of things, including age, substance/ETOH abuse, and neighborhood (controls were taken from the nearby area in the first NEJM article).

If you think there's a reasonable variable that would account for the incredible rise in risk seen in gun owning homes, then that would be a productive debate.

Having said that, you'd have to come up with a phenomenal confounder to explain away the OR/RR in these studies (CI no lower than 1.6!!). If you look at high quality journals (JAMA, NEJM, etc) you'll find the evidence is pretty convincing. A pubmed search of "spoon versus fork" and "obesity"? Probably not as well supported :)

Umm, it's hard to have gun accidents without a...wait for it...gun. Why would you expect the research to point to anything other than that?

Doesn't mean I'm not having one in my home. I guess I'm just a risk taker.

Having said that, you'd have to come up with a phenomenal confounder to explain away the OR/RR in these studies (CI no lower than 1.6!!). If you look at high quality journals (JAMA, NEJM, etc) you'll find the evidence is pretty convincing that guns in the house are hazardous to you and your family. A pubmed search of "spoon versus fork" and "obesity"? Probably not as well supported :)

There you go again, Jimmy, er ...iLDrS....confusing the debate with hard numbers and statistics again.

They can't cuddle statistics under their pillows through the long, dark night...

Umm, it's hard to have gun accidents without a...wait for it...gun. Why would you expect the research to point to anything other than that?
??? :confused:

I think you don't understand. The aforementioned studies looked at gun ownership vs homicide and suicide. With other variables accounted for, gun ownership increased the risk of death vs. not having a gun. It's that simple.

There you go again, Jimmy, er ...iLDrS....confusing the debate with hard numbers and statistics again.

They can't cuddle statistics under their pillows through the long, dark night...

I imagine you're right OPD: holding (or sleeping with) a gun probably feels more empowering, so why would one listen to studies that show the opposite? "Think with your gut" I can hear Colbert say

Last edited:

You'll get my statistics when you pry them ...
using at least 6 lbs per sq inch perpendicular to the long axis of my finger ...
with a 46% chance of phalanges fracture ...
and a 12% chance of vomiting when you hear the fracture occur ...
and an 84% risk of syncope of the digit disconnects from the hand ...
and a 97% chance of impact to your cranium if "I'm not dead yet!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs

Agree, though I also think there was some semi-sarcasm with the posts comparing spoons to guns.

I remember reading on here some time back about a psychiatrist who got cut up by an axe from a former patient and one other story of one getting shot I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong. Both were outliers and freak cases, unlikely to be statistically significant.

I like guns though. :) So, I plan on getting a .32 ACP or .380 ACP Seecamp to be my concealed carry gun for out and about (graduation gift to myself). 12 gauge shotgun for the home front.
SEECAMP1.JPG

You must have some little bitty digits to handle that little thing. :smuggrin:

:laugh: I like to think it makes things safer here.

I was recently purchasing a shirt in a mall. When I went to hand my credit card to the cashier, my concealed carry license fell out. The cashier picks up on this and tells me that he carries a .45.

The guy behind me in line piped up that he currently had his 9mm with him.

The guy behind him agreed that he loved his 9mm carry gun.

Only in TX would all 4 random people near the cash register be carrying. :thumbup:

I wished everyone at Ft. Hood had been carrying when that physician started unloading...

BUTTE, MONTANA

Two illegal aliens, Ralphel Resindez, 23, and Enrico Garza, 26, probably believed they would easily overpower home-alone 11 year old Patricia Harrington after her father had left their two-story home.

It seems the two crooks never learned two things: they were in Montana and Patricia had been a clay shooting champion since she was nine.

Patricia was in her upstairs room when the two men broke through the front door of the house. She quickly ran to her father's room and grabbed his 12 gauge Mossberg 500 shotgun.

Resindez was the first to get up to the second floor only to be the first to catch a near point blank blast of buckshot from the 11-year-old's knee crouch aim. He suffered fatal wounds to his abdomen and genitals.

When Garza ran to the foot of the stairs, he took a blast to the left shoulder and staggered out into the street where he bled to death before medical help could arrive.

It was found out later that Resindez was armed with a stolen 45 caliber handgun he took from another home invasion robbery. That victim, 50-year-old David 0Burien, was not so lucky. He died from stab wounds to the chest.

Ever wonder why good stuff never makes NBC, CBS, PBS, MSNBC, CNN, or ABC news........an 11 year old girl, properly trained, defended her home, and herself......against two murderous, illegal immigrants........and she wins, she is still alive.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure in most neighborhoods your family is statistically safer not having a gun than having one. Statistics don't account for the fact that there is a wide variation in how safe a family with guns can be, of course, so it doesn't make it a bad idea for any individual to necessarily have one. Some families are probably far far far less likely to kill themselves with a gun than others.

Although I am pro-gun rights, they creep me out personally. There are probably other things that are safer to your family to not have than to have (including things without the intentional quality of violence that seems to go with guns). Guns may be the biggest risk, I don't know. I bet pools are pretty risky too. I know more families hurt by them, including dead children and rather disabled ones, because I don't know any that have been hurt by guns. It's probably a locational variance (not a ton of guns in the wealthier suburbs in MA, but many pools), but I bet in general families without pools are safer than those with them.

I'm pretty sure in most neighborhoods your family is statistically safer not having a gun than having one.

Just my opinion based on some things I learned from social psychology.

It turns out that people act very differently depending on the population density. In a tightly packed urban environment, more people tend to be socially liberal, there usually is more ethnic diversity, crime goes up, etc.

Vice versa with low population density. There are plenty of studies that back this up in social psychology textbooks.

IMHO the big blue/red state divide is a product of that difference. Let's throw in the gun issue that is heavily correlated with political ideologies (and I'll try to stay as nonpolitical. I've bloviated enough.)

Guns in packed areas have an increased chance of hitting bystanders, are in areas with high crime, are in areas where illegal access is more plentiful, where the nuclear family and extended family structures are less likely to occur, and several gangs are armed to the teeth.

Compare that to a rural area where a property could be for several acres, police will not show up as fast, and there are fewer police, guns are less likely to go in the hands of the irresponsible, and culturally, ownership of a gun is more prevalent.

My point is you could do a study on the evils or virtues of owning a gun, but IMHO it's not going to apply to everyone. It's only going to apply to that immediate area where it was done. Owning a gun in TX certainly is a different thing than owning it in NYC. In NYC, I'd want no one to have a gun except the police and store owners/clerks who can use it to fend off a thief. In a rural area, I don't mind people having them, and even think it's a good thing.

I think it's combination of selective hearing and selective reporting.... ;)

From what I've read/seen it's the opposite. I've seen estimates of "defensive gun uses" that possibly go into 1-2 million/year depending on the survey/study.

And I've seen several articles/reviews from criminologists that show the weaknesses and probable misleading results of the Kellerman studies.

Last edited:
I would have to wonder if that was actually a person commiting suicide, similar to suicide by cop.

According to a study by the LA police, 10% of all fire fights with guns were ruled to be suicide by cop scenarios.

http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/Pyers/suicide_by_cop.htm

Considering the number of firefights in LA per year, that's a lot of suicides.

I think it's combination of selective hearing and selective reporting....

IMHO it is. Political pundits have a tendency to only talk about the issues they can rant about where they have the upper hand. On issues where they usually don't have that hand, they'll just not talk about the issue. Hannity went on tirades against eminent domain. An astute listener informed Hannity that G. W. Bush was able to seal his deal to purchase the Texas Rangers using eminent domain. After that, you never heard Hannity rant about eminent domain again. No retraction, no apology, no apparent change on views, he just never brought it up again even though he rousing the crowd on this topic for months.
No, I'm not left leaning (well socially I am, otherwise not). Every pundit I've seen done this left or right, which is why I have yet to find one I respect. I'd like to find one that gives his/her views but when proven wrong, actually admits to his fault and apologizes, and not cut off someone who is actually beating him in a debate.

Aside from the pundits, who are not fair or balanced (despite being most of the airtime of a news network that's allegedly "fair and balanced"), the news itself is highly biased. Think about it. News shows just like entertainment shows need to get ratings. Gotcha stories, visually horrific scenes, man bites dog stories get more ratings, and thus are the focus of news these days.

Last edited:
This thread may get locked as it's getting sidetracked into gun debate.

Getting back to topic, a psychiatrist once told me that his practice was 20 miles away from his place of residence and he felt this was the best protection. At the very least, he doesn't run into folks he treats, in the library or shopping center.

A person doesn't own a gun for the 99% of times s/he doesn't need it, but instead for the 1% of time s/he does need it. Having a gun in the house will raise the chance of death, though probability statistics generalize poorly to individual cases the farther you get away from certainty.

There are countless instances where law-abiding citizens have protected themselves from immanent harm (and often protects children/family members), but those stories are rarely reported by the mainstream media. Fear and hysteria sells news stories....not responsible gun owners.

As for personal safety in a clinical setting....I haven't run into a situation where I felt like I was in immanent danger, though physical altercations can still happen. With that being said, running a private practice and/or being alone is the office is a different matter. I personally would not want to put myself in that position. I will be investing in a firearm if/when I open a private office, though not because of my patients....but because criminals are more likely to target someone alone, particularly at night.

Last edited:
This thread may get locked as it's getting sidetracked into gun debate.

Getting back to topic, a psychiatrist once told me that his practice was 20 miles away from his place of residence and he felt this was the best protection. At the very least, he doesn't run into folks he treats, in the library or shopping center.

I don't know what they lock threads for over on the psychology forum, but here we tend to let free-association take threads where they may - so long as they stay within TOS.

A person doesn't own a gun for the 99% of times s/he doesn't need it, but instead for the 1% of time s/he does need it. Having a gun in the house will raise the chance of death, though probability statistics generalize poorly to individual cases the farther you get away from certainty.

There are countless instances where law-abiding citizens have protected themselves from immanent harm (and often protects children/family members), but those stories are rarely reported by the mainstream media. Fear and hysteria sells news stories....not responsible gun owners.

As for personal safety in a clinical setting....I haven't run into a situation where I felt like I was in immanent danger, though physical altercations can still happen. With that being said, running a private practice and/or being alone is the office is a different matter. I personally would not want to put myself in that position. I will be investing in a firearm if/when I open a private office, though not because of my patients....but because criminals are more likely to target someone alone, particularly at night.

Good point at the end there. Regardless of the specialty, or even type of business, just makes good sense to think of security. Just because you are in your nice little office does not make you immune from threats or violence, random or not.

nlax30 said:
Good point at the end there. Regardless of the specialty, or even type of business, just makes good sense to think of security. Just because you are in your nice little office does not make you immune from threats or violence, random or not.

I still wouldn't pack heat. I rather learn other ways of protecting myself instead of packing heat. If I carry a gun, I bet I'll end up accidentally shoot my own dick off or the neighbor's kid or have my own gun turned on me or something.

There are books out there on self-defense. I'm not just talking martial arts. You learn how to handle scary situations, and the best way to do that is prevention. Next best thing is evading/escaping the situation. I have no intention of shooting someone who is much more likely to be well trained in use of firearms and also have little to lose in life should he kill me.

I still wouldn't pack heat. I rather learn other ways of protecting myself instead of packing heat. If I carry a gun, I bet I'll end up accidentally shoot my own dick off or the neighbor's kid or have my own gun turned on me or something.

Ultimately it's your decision, but to use the logic of "if I carry a gun, I'll end up shooting myself" is just ridiculous. That's why you train, and not just buy a gun and stick it in your pants like a gangsta.

There are books out there on self-defense. I'm not just talking martial arts. You learn how to handle scary situations, and the best way to do that is prevention. Next best thing is evading/escaping the situation. I have no intention of shooting someone who is much more likely to be well trained in use of firearms and also have little to lose in life should he kill me.

I certainly agree in that you should ALSO learn other ways to protect yourself. By no means does carrying a gun (or any other weapon) automatically make you invincible with no point in learning or using other means of self-defense.

Actually, most of those who carry a handgun for self-defense actually comment on how they now focus more on situational awareness and staying out of questionable situations and encounters. I certainly do NOT want to shoot someone and my first thought is going to be how can I get out of that situation, but if it comes down to my life I will make sure I have the tools needed to defend it.

Also, the typical thug type or criminal is not going to be that well "versed" in proper gun use/shooting techniques. Hell, I occasional participate in local IDPA matches, which are basically small courses setup at a gun range consisting of multiple targets where the point is to build skills of a defensive use of a carried handgun, and we have a few a local law enforcement officers who also come out and one of the swat guys says that most of non-LE shooters there could easily out shoot most cops. Your average criminal is not training in that way.

Ultimately it's your decision, but to use the logic of "if I carry a gun, I'll end up shooting myself" is just ridiculous. That's why you train, and not just buy a gun and stick it in your pants like a gangsta.

But that's what I was planning to do.:D