Personal Statement Advice MSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CampDeeds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am finishing up my last applications for USC and Azusa Pacific ( The last two I have March dates so surprisngly still time perhaps) and of course my big hurdle and like worry is this personal statement. It is like my biggest mountain to climb and I feel like it is my make or break and that makes me sad because I see this being my niche =D

So with that being said, any MSW students who remember this process or students going through the process have any advice on how to approach it? I crack up at people who say "Oh dig deep really find yourself through it" cause like who knew it was hard to write just about everything about yourself.

I have started but I keep hitting Writers Block and just run from it until I hear or watch something social justice related and that fire ignites my soul. I don't want to write the statement either just to write and give the admin staff "what they want to hear" I want to write this knowing hey I want to help and adovcate for others. Both schools have prompts and for the most part i have a good foundation but I feel the need for it to be spectacular..Overachieving at its finest :rolleyes::yeahright:

So Any Advice?:D

Members don't see this ad.

I know this will sound random, but do you like stories?

Hello!
The personal statement can be tricky, but maybe I would suggest in reflecting back to a time when something, someone, or some event made you realize their suffering, an empathic experience that from that moment on, changed your life and made you want to help/guide others.

I know this will sound random, but do you like stories?

Haha Yes as random as that may sound, I do appreciate stories once in a good while =)

Hello!
The personal statement can be tricky, but maybe I would suggest in reflecting back to a time when something, someone, or some event made you realize their suffering, an empathic experience that from that moment on, changed your life and made you want to help/guide others.

Hmm thats a good start! Thank you for that starting point!
Here I will post some of the prompts that I am most stuck on! Again I appreciate the help! This is the most frustrating roadbloack otherwise I would be done and waiting for the results.

Prompt Questions:
Describe your understanding of the social work profession and its core values. How have you incorporated social work values in your human service experiences and interactions with others?

Expectations regarding attending a Christian university for MSW Program, and approach to faith integration in scholarship and service. Although no admissions requirements exist regarding faith orientation, Christian and other religious perspectives may be presented and discussed in classes.

Discussion of an ethical challenge you have encountered in professional, field, or volunteer work and how you resolved it.