personal statement advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardiotonic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sent in 6 secondaries last year and was granted 4 interviews (I have a good excuse why I wasn't granted an interview for the other two). Anyways, I was put on 4 waitlists and felt like I came very close to being accepted by each of the 4 schools. So overall, I was also pleased with my application package. I felt that if I would have had one more advantage (e.g. volunteer experience, applied a lot earlier instead of last minute, or research experience) than I would have gotten accepted. My problem this year is that, I really don't want to change my personal statement. It involves my (for the lack of a better word) best experience and most influential person. Also I could not have written it any better. So should I send it in as is (probably not), change it around a little, or write an entirely different letter involving my improvements since last application cycle (even though, I don't really think I've changed that much at all). If anyone would like to critique my personal statements, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you not done anything to improve your application this time? if yes, put that in your personal statement. If no, what makes you think you are going to get in this time without any changes?

medic170 said:
Have you not done anything to improve your application this time? if yes, put that in your personal statement. If no, what makes you think you are going to get in this time without any changes?

medic170- I think he thinks he'll get in this time cuz he's applying earlier this time around? yeah I second medic170- what have you done since you've applied last time? you might want to include that into the personal statement.

but feel free to send the essay my way thru pm, i tend to procrastinate a lot and need an excuse to not do work. plus i got i think 6 helped revisions under my belt, hehe.

Thanks for the advice! Because i applied so late, I really haven't had much time to improve my application. Since last years application, I have volunteered for an ER dept. I have also gained valuable interview experiences. If I do not get accepted this year (still a possibility) I will find a researching position. Freakingzooming, I sent you a pm.