Personal Statement Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3levelscorer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, would it be ok to mention Grey's Anatomy in my personal statement. It is not the reason why I want to go into medicine, but rather i watched it because I wanted to go into to medicine. I would mention that I know it is not an accurate representation of the real world of healthcare is like but I would watch the show and do research on all the diseases and surgeries that were performed.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering, would it be ok to mention Grey's Anatomy in my personal statement. It is not the reason why I want to go into medicine, but rather i watched it because I wanted to go into to medicine. I would mention that I know it is not an accurate representation of the real world of healthcare is like but I would watch the show and do research on all the diseases and surgeries that were performed.

Please don’t

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
fr, even if its not the basis of my essay, more like a sentence of the essay?
Yes, FR. It's fiction, and mentioning it will make you, and your interest in medicine, appear superficial. Don't tell med schools you required the imagination of Hollywood screenwriters to provide inspiration for you to conduct research on diseases and surgeries. Bad look.

On the other hand, if you want to throw in an application to Shonda Rhimes to be a doctor on the show, your reference might be helpful. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
fr, even if its not the basis of my essay, more like a sentence of the essay?

"so pick me, choose ME......LOVE me"....I think it's a very accurate representation of medicine

• Haha
If you were 12, and Grey's was your first exposure to medicine, I think it's okay to mention it.