Personal statement and verb tense

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artist27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I am talking about an activity that I am currently involved with, is it ok to use present tense? It sounds a little weird in the personal statement but I mean in a sentence like: "I have been learning about...I am able to see..." etc

Members don't see this ad.

If I am talking about an activity that I am currently involved with, is it ok to use present tense? It sounds a little weird in the personal statement but I mean in a sentence like: "I have been learning about...I am able to see..." etc
Yep, I think as long as you say "in my current position..." it should be fine.

If you're talking about current events/experience in your life, I don't see anything wrong with using the present tense. I don't remember if that issue came up when I was writing mine, but it shouldn't be a problem. Also, always try to limit "was/am able to" unless it's really necessary because there are usually more concise and stronger ways to say the verb you are thinking of using (something that I struggle with a lot, hence the comment).

*Edit*: Just read my old PS to brush-up on these things, and I always used the past tense in mine because I referred to specific instances in the past (even concerning activities that I was currently involved in). But I think that this was just a stylistic thing and not representative of how PSs should be written in general.

I used both past and present tense in mine. It needs to be triple checked for errors/consistency but it can flow just fine