Personal Statement Critique

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubblez128

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered somewhere before, but I was wondering if anyone knew a good service to go through to get their personal statement for primary apps critiqued (i.e. point out weaknesses, grammatical errors, etc.). I know Kaplan does one, and my school also does one but I wanted to see what other options there were.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Asking one of the English professors at your school would be less expensive. If your school has a writing center, one of their people would be another option. You can find businesses on-line that charge to critique your writing, but SDNers that have used them reported variable degrees of happiness with the results.

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere before, but I was wondering if anyone knew a good service to go through to get their personal statement for primary apps critiqued (i.e. point out weaknesses, grammatical errors, etc.). I know Kaplan does one, and my school also does one but I wanted to see what other options there were.

Thanks!!

Send me that cringe-inducing, vomit-making abortion of an essay that you call a personal statement but I call a crime against humanity and I will kick its tires, slam its doors, tear it a new sphincter, and then rip its head off and (metaphorically) take a dump down its throat.

I have been sent twenty-or-so personal statements in the last two years and we have not hit bottom yet. Just when I thought they could not get any worse comes another self-aggrandizing, cliche-infested screed which, in it's awesome crapulence, leaves me stunned...stunned and ashamed at the depths to which you poor bastards must sink to get into medical school.