Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Personal Statement - do or die?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by orangeman25, 05.16.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. orangeman25

orangeman25 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm writing and editing my personal statement right now. Mine is decent but I have read some that have welled tears into my eyes! With that said, how important is the personal statement? Compared to MCAT, GPA, ECs, LORs, and and interview.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. AndyQC

AndyQC

Pre-Medical
    My understanding is that the PS is generally less important than the factors listed above. I think LizzyM mentioned that it was very rare to come across a PS that stands out in a positive or in a negative way. Of course, it probably varies by school and even between individual adcom members, but I don't think it's anything you need to lose a lot of sleep over. Just do your best.

4. DK2014

DK2014

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I was asked about my personal statement at every one of my interviews.. so I'd say it is quite important.

About the ads