personal statement: does it matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blitzkrieg

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the PS really matter?

They tell me it doesnt matter until interviews.

Well, they can ask you questions then..so what good would a PS be, when they have you in person?

Did I spend forever writing a good PS for nothing?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a bad personal statement then you probably won't get an interview in the first place.

I agree a horrible PS will hurt you. But in general, I'd otherwise say the PS isn't that important. An average PS won't hurt you if you have good numbers. Most schools are most interested in numbers, and then they look at the PS.

so unless you have a horrible PS, I'd say don't stress out about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the personal statement is extremely important. It is the only thing that seperates you from other candidate.

Some interviewrs frame the interview around the personal statement. So if it is a crappy essay they won't think to highly of you.

I do agree that the interview is probably more important, but a good personal statement will help you with your interviews.

AK

The personal statement is a place where you can tell the admissions committee something that is no where else on your application. Also, the style and way you write your statement gives the committee a sense of your personality. It is really the only part of the app that conveys this. It is very important in my opinion.

I agree -- I found it highly important. My stats were not great at all. I see all these stats of people who have yet to get accepted anywhere. But I had a damn good PS I think, and I believe that is what sold me to the schools I interviewed at. Think of the interview as a way to kinda back-up and support the voice they hear in the essay. I went to one interview, and the lady looked down at my essay and asked me why I didn't want to be a writer. It really is the one thing that can differentiate you from the rest, and where they can hear your voice and your personality as the other mentioned.

One problem with a lot of PS is that they're too bland and generic, and I hope you didn't make yours like that. It might seem silly to say, but make your personal statement personal. Reveal some of yourself to them, but don't let everything outta the closet (no jokes! :p )

I think the personal statement matters quite a bit. As others have stated, it is the only thing the differentiates you from the rest of the pack. Most schools get several thousand applications and many people with the same numbers and similar EC's.

I think it is very important to write a personal statement that paints a positive picture of you and demonstrates your readiness (intellectually and emotionally) for medical education. The personal statement is a hardcopy representative of your personality that is available to the entire admissions committee long after your interview. If you can demonstrate the same positive characteristics in your interview that you display in your personal statement, then the two or three people that interview you can tell the other thirty people on the admissions committee that you are a lot like you personal statement portrays you. I put a lot of energy into my personal statement to make sure I demonstrated good communication, maturity, integrity, etc. In my opinion, taking the PS lightly is a gamble at best.

We don't know how important the PS is. Some adcoms may value it highly, while others may not. Plus, individual adcom members may have different feelings about it. There are many personal variables. So who knows? But
Guitarman has it right when we says to take it lightly is a gamble. It may be important for the adcoms of the schools you apply to. Why take the risk?

scootad, how come u don't answer ur emails? is ur aol address not correct?

I can't believe this question is even being asked. Of course it matters! :rolleyes:

If you believe the PS doesn't matter that much, then don't write one or copy and paste something from the web into the space provided for your personal statement. Then come back and tell us where you got interviewed and ultimated accepted. I, for one, would like to know.