Personal Statement Do's and Don'ts, and questions please help!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohwelltodo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,

for my secondary app. ps, Is it ok if i say my significant other is a first-year med student at the the medical school so he would help me adjust

(i'd say it in a better way)...and should i gave his name???

what other things are important for PS secondary..

Members don't see this ad.

ohwelltodo said:
hello,

for my secondary app. ps, Is it ok if i say my significant other is a first-year med student at the the medical school so he would help me adjust

(i'd say it in a better way)...and should i gave his name???

what other things are important for PS secondary..

I don't think it would be a bad thing as long as you state it in a way like you would have more support etc. I don't know if you should say his or her name.

i think it depends how you word it. it may seem like you are just trying to say you know someone who goes there.

personally, i think it would be fine, but playing devil's advocate here, they could think it as a bad thing, if you were to break up, and they think you went there because of the sig. other, and then you might be depressed, not do well, etc.

maybe its a better topic for your interview? i am not sure, just my opinion, although i am curious to hear what others think.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can throw in he would encourage you, be supportive, how he can help you shoulder the transition in med school etc.

I don't know about the name thing. Since he is attending that school, I might just not say his name. If they want to know who, they can ask you at the interview.
G'luck! :luck:

I didn't write about my SO in my PS or 2ndary but I learned during my interviews that one of my LOR writers mentioned my hubby and how supportive he is and will be and a bit about his background. I got a lot of comments about this and how the school is always happy to hear that a candidate has a good support system because med school is hard and not always fun blah blah blah.

Based on my experience I would say it's a good idea to mention your SO but you could hold off on this until interviews when it might have more impact. OR you could casually ask one of your LOR people to mention it.

I don't think I'd mention his name, though.