Personal Statement/Essay question

Started by SuperBean
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SuperBean

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know this is a really silly question, but is your personal statement separate from your essays? Or are they the same thing?

Reason I ask is because I'm assuming the personal statement asks "Why do you want to be Pharmacist?" Yet one of the essay topics is "Why Pharmacy?"

I will be applying to UT this Fall. Does anyone know how long your Personal Statement is supposed to be? I'm trying to get all my app stuff done ahead of time (essays, personal statement, resume, etc) so I can apply early.

Thanks!
 
I know this is a really silly question, but is your personal statement separate from your essays? Or are they the same thing?

Reason I ask is because I'm assuming the personal statement asks "Why do you want to be Pharmacist?" Yet one of the essay topics is "Why Pharmacy?"

I will be applying to UT this Fall. Does anyone know how long your Personal Statement is supposed to be? I'm trying to get all my app stuff done ahead of time (essays, personal statement, resume, etc) so I can apply early.

Thanks!


I would advise you to check out pharmcas.org and it will tell you what needs to be in the personal statement. The essay that you may be referring to is with the supplemental app and the topics may vary by institution.
 
Detailed statement from PharmCAS:


Your Personal Essay should address why you selected pharmacy as a career and how the Doctor of Pharmacy degree relates to your immediate and long-term professional goals. Describe how your personal, educational, and professional background will help you achieve your goals. The personal essay is an important part of your application for admission and provides you with an opportunity for you to clearly and effectively express your ideas.​


Do NOT personalize your essay for a particular pharmacy degree institution.​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
​
You can NOT make
any edits to your personal statement after you have e-submitted your completed
​

application to PharmCAS.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Detailed statement from PharmCAS:


Your Personal Essay should address why you selected pharmacy as a career and how the Doctor of Pharmacy degree relates to your immediate and long-term professional goals. Describe how your personal, educational, and professional background will help you achieve your goals. The personal essay is an important part of your application for admission and provides you with an opportunity for you to clearly and effectively express your ideas.​



Do NOT personalize your essay for a particular pharmacy degree institution.
You can NOT make
any edits to your personal statement after you have e-submitted your completed​
application to PharmCAS.
​
​
​



Do you have something else to do??????
​
 
Um, I thought UT doesn't use PharmCAS. IDK about OOS students, but yeah, in state you don't need it.

OP: Personal statement should be 1 to 2 pages max, and 2 pages is pushing it. Essays are different... some essays are to get into UT (general studies, transfer), then you have 2 more essays to do for UTCOP.

We are talking about UT Austin, right?
 
Um, I thought UT doesn't use PharmCAS. IDK about OOS students, but yeah, in state you don't need it.

OP: Personal statement should be 1 to 2 pages max, and 2 pages is pushing it. Essays are different... some essays are to get into UT (general studies, transfer), then you have 2 more essays to do for UTCOP.

We are talking about UT Austin, right?


:laugh:

I didn't realize it said UT, but it could either be UT-Austin or U. of Tennessee. Or even the university in Toronto...😕
 
Yes, I am referring to UT Austin's Pharmacy school.
I do not believe we use PharmCas (I have actually never heard of it, like all of you guys haha).

But I do know we have to write 2 essays for the application (which I am currently writing), however I didn't know we had to write a "personal statement" and I'm confused as to why we'd have to write 2 essays and that when the essay already covers why i want to be a pharmacist...
 
Yes, I am referring to UT Austin's Pharmacy school.
I do not believe we use PharmCas (I have actually never heard of it, like all of you guys haha).

But I do know we have to write 2 essays for the application (which I am currently writing), however I didn't know we had to write a "personal statement" and I'm confused as to why we'd have to write 2 essays and that when the essay already covers why i want to be a pharmacist...



I only know of 2 essays not 3.