Personal Statement / Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silver eclipse

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm applying for schools this summer and having a lot of trouble writing my personal statement/essay for optomcas. Any tips for writing a personal statement? Should I focus only on my experiences in the field or should I talk about everything?

Having major problems putting things into words and organizing :(

Any tips/advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Talk about everything. You want all of your best attributes to come forward in an essay that pieces together why you're a good fit for optometry.

I would make a bullet list of all important points. From there, eliminate those that are not as significant or influential. Then, I'd take the remaining points and expand on them to your final personal statement. Try to somehow weave together all your points so your personal statement is a reflection of you as well as your passion for this career.

I also agree, talk about everything. Admissions are reading through thousands of essays, all relating to individuals' experiences in the field. You need to make yours unique by personalizing it as much as you can (be specific about your experiences, how they made you feel, how they personally impacted you) and more importantly convey who you are as individual.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user