Personal Statement for dental school vs masters program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MVD89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! So I am applying to dental school this coming cycle in June as well as applying to Master programs geared towards pre-dental students to enhance their records. I am wondering if I should use the same personal statement for both applications? Also I was curious if it would be fine to use the same letter of recommendations for both applications? I would hate to have to ask my professors to write two separate letters and cause them more work.
An idea of the master programs I am applying to are: Boston University M.S. in Oral Health Sciences, Barry University M.S. Biomedical Sciences, Midwestern University M.S. in Biomedical Sciences.
Thank you so much for advice and feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Use both. Why not? Isn't the idea of doing the masters to get into D-school? Good luck!

You should try to get your evaluators to at least modify any parts of their letters that allude to "dental school" or "masters program," because it would be would not be good for dental school adcoms to read "Barry University MS." That seems obvious, but I was apparently stuck with a dental school LOR that mentioned a summer program I originally asked my professor to recommend me for. Just give them a list, and maybe give them 4 different blurbs, or at least make sure that they know there are 4 different places.

Your personal statements should be tailored to the program you are applying to, which means you probably will have at least 85% carryover. In the professional world, it's usually beneficial to tailor a resume the same way - i.e., don't tell Microsoft you love Apple products. More to the point, look up a few specific things about the schools and fit them into your statement, if they apply to your circumstances. Boston the city is different from wherever this Midwestern campus is. You may want to establish a practice in one place more than the other. You should certainly mention the end goal is some sort of overlap between the MS program and dental school. You're trying to impress a specific audience, not some faceless amorphous blob, even if the blobs have similar characteristics.

Last edited:
Just to build off what techyguy said--you can tailor your MS LORs, but you can't tailor your DS LORs. They all get the same ones through AADSAS. :)

Reactions: 1 user