Personal statement for off cycle pre lim surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bagheera

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for off cycle positions currently. I am very open to diff residency specialities when I apply to the match this comming year. But in the meantime, im looking for open positions for anything i can find, particularly pre lim surgery as they seem to open up more often than other spots. It seems they want a personal statement. Should I write a separate personal statement? Surgery is not my first choice and my personal statement is not for that. However, surgery is a branch of medicine and I would be greatful if I could get a position in it for pre lim if it opened up. I am just unsure what to write in my personal statement in this situation. Any advice? thanks !!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am looking for off cycle positions currently. I am very open to diff residency specialities when I apply to the match this comming year. But in the meantime, im looking for open positions for anything i can find, particularly pre lim surgery as they seem to open up more often than other spots. It seems they want a personal statement. Should I write a separate personal statement? Surgery is not my first choice and my personal statement is not for that. However, surgery is a branch of medicine and I would be greatful if I could get a position in it for pre lim if it opened up. I am just unsure what to write in my personal statement in this situation. Any advice? thanks !!

when you are applying just for a Prelim spot off cycle, you probably have to sell why you want to be in their program for the year. I'd write a separate PS.