Personal Statement for Pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

takins33613

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could you please share with me, exactly what should be on the personal statement? I almost feel like I am repeating everything on my resume in my personal Statement and I will not have anything to say if I get an interview. Also, does anyone know the specific number of words that each person is supposed to have? Could you please share with me, exactly how long is too long?

Members don't see this ad.

there's another post on this...

anyhow, pharmcas actually specify the lenght and topic (why pharm, etc).
what i found hepful was answering the questions that different schools ask in their apps. going thru these Q's help me see the kinds of quality they look for and it teaches you a thing or two about yourself. another source to try is googling what's in a personal statement in the medical field. it should give you an outline for you to personalize.

For PharmCAS, I believe the limit is 4,500 characters with spaces.

A personal statement for pharmacy school is more or less a story. If you can tell the story about why you want to be in pharmacy and how capable you are to finish that goal, then you have your personal statement.:)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I really spent a lot of time on mine! I put a lot of heart and soul into it. Unfortunately, I doubt that it was ever seriously read by anyone on the school's admissions committee!:oops:

The presonal statement should reflect who you are....trials you have overcome in your life to become the successful person you are today, defining moments in your life that made you realize that the healthcare field was the right choice for you (more specifically, pharmacy). I would steer away from making it sound like a resume since they will have all your qualificatins in the rest of your PharmCAS application....just show them the real you and why you have chosen pharamcy for your career. Seemed to work for me, I got into all three schools I interviewed at :) Good Luck to you

MY personal statement was 3 paragraphs, one page typed single space...
#1) How I decided I wanted to pursue a career in pharmacy
#2) Explained my volunteer and work experiences and why I think they reinforced my desicion to pursue a career in pharmacy
#3) My plans for employment/residency once my PharmD is completed and my general goals for the future

I thought my letter was VERY SOLID...I applied to 4 schools (complete applications) and got into all 4......Just address what you think is important, when you interview most panels only get to read your personal statement and your answers to secondary application questions, so be sure to be honest, and be able to speak on what is in the letter.

Reactions: 1 user
does anyone know of a good place online to have your personal statement proof read

does anyone know of a good place online to have your personal statement proof read

Your Pharmacy Counselor should be able to proofread the letter for you and most colleges have people in the English Dept./writing center to help you proofread and make suggestions. Also your school's career services dept. usually has people that are suppose to proofread CVs, resumes and Personal Statements.

Try to take advantage of all the free services that your college offers, it is a better option than sending your statement out to some random online site that writes and proofreads papers.

Duh sorry I don't know why i didn't think of that I guess im just nervous and looking for every last minute thing i need to check i send in my app next week wish me luck!

:confused: was wondering if u can share your personal statement.. or if possible can u email me at [email protected]

MY personal statement was 3 paragraphs, one page typed single space...
#1) How I decided I wanted to pursue a career in pharmacy
#2) Explained my volunteer and work experiences and why I think they reinforced my desicion to pursue a career in pharmacy
#3) My plans for employment/residency once my PharmD is completed and my general goals for the future

I thought my letter was VERY SOLID...I applied to 4 schools (complete applications) and got into all 4......Just address what you think is important, when you interview most panels only get to read your personal statement and your answers to secondary application questions, so be sure to be honest, and be able to speak on what is in the letter.

I wouldn't send anyone my personal statement over the internet, they will likely rip it off.

If you are going into pharmacy for the right reasons, and you really want to do it, the personal statement should be easy to write.

Would anyone like to read my pharmacy school personal essay? I don't care if you rip it to pieces! I need the feedback please!

Would anyone like to read my pharmacy school personal essay? I don't care if you rip it to pieces! I need the feedback please!
I can read it for you,send to my email you want it?

Is it possible someone can read my personal statement as well? not very good at writing about myself.

Thanks for the tips! Also, research and speak of the sub-field within pharmacy your interested in. If you like hospital pharmacy for example, look up literature, blogs, job descriptions, hospital pharmacy organization missions statements and etc to support your reasons why you would like to entire that particular field. That will show the Pharmacy Admission Committee that you've done your research about the field and possibly present how you will contribute to its growth. Thats the advice a pharmacist give to me regarding my personal statement.