Personal Statement for PhD program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princessd3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to help a friend write a good personal statement. Can someone give some pointers. Is it like writing for medical school? Can you be creative? Should it emphasize the research you've done. Ok to use anecdote to make it come alive? Should it read like a resume? Any guidance appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think one should focus on research. How you became interested in research and what you have done thus far. I also believe there are books that you can purchase which will give you guide lines.

I agree with dr. z. If your friend has extensive undergrad research experience (published a paper, wrote a thesis, worked as a lab tech, etc.), this info should all definitely be included. Have your friend describe the research done using as little jargon as possible (and explaining any jargon that can't be avoided), what was learned from it, etc., as well as what about that experience convinced your friend to want to go into research as a career. Also, if your friend knows what area s/he would like to go into, this could also be discussed, but if s/he isn't sure yet, that is ok also. Hope this helps. :)