Personal Statement for Prelim Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rsa21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I just send my anesthesiology personal statement to the prelim medicine and transitional year applications? Or should I have separate personal statements for those programs?

Members don't see this ad.

i hear you can use the same one. but i added an extra paragraph to make the essay more friendly towards prelims.

also, how many prelims do people generally apply to?

Yeah I heard you can use the same one. A couple of the residents said they don't really care.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I applied three years ago, I did separate statements for prelim/TY and anesthesiology programs. This seemed only natural to me, since my anesthesiology statements included more discussion of why I was interested in anesthesiology than seemed germane to prelim apps. I believe I copied portions of the statements that overlapped.

I applied to 14 TY/PY programs, used the same statement. was originally going to to personalize all statements, but after a while i questioned if it was really worth the effort, and just wanted to be finished, so we'll see how it goes i guess

Going on the advice of people that have applied in past years, I just used the same PS (seemed kind of silly to write a new PS describing my yearning to complete an intern year...).

Going on the advice of people that have applied in past years, I just used the same PS (seemed kind of silly to write a new PS describing my yearning to complete an intern year...).
:laugh: I like your style lush.