Personal Statement for reapplicant ... after 3 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreenMichigander

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied in 2015 and didn't get in so I waited to build my app and now I am applying this year. Do I include the fact that I applied in the past in my personal statement? I have read on several of these posts that you can just update the old personal statement with the new stats and information but do you also say that you are reapplying? Just not sure how to go about it.

Members don't see this ad.

It probably depends on your personal statement.

If I recall correctly, your application will have a section where you state that you are a reapplication. It will also give you space to address what has changed since you last applied.

How important was it to you that you applied three years ago? How has the time between then and now changed your application? More importantly, how has it changed you.

I think that you should write a new personal statement. Three years is a long time and you can use your personal statement to show how much you have changed since the last time you applied.

It really depends if you spent the last three years improving your application or not.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would write a new PS and include how you improved yourself as an applicant since you applied in 2015. I applied to dental school 3 times and each time I would write in my PS how I improved myself as an applicant. I wouldn’t base your whole PS around that, but maybe like a paragraph saying how your extra shadowing/volunteering/etc since 2015 has affected you.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied in 2015 and didn't get in so I waited to build my app and now I am applying this year. Do I include the fact that I applied in the past in my personal statement? I have read on several of these posts that you can just update the old personal statement with the new stats and information but do you also say that you are reapplying? Just not sure how to go about it.
I would re-write your PS for sure since there have been many things (I would assume) that have changed and improved since you were an applicant before. I applied twice, and took a break in-between application cycles to improve and strengthen my application much like you. I did have essence of my first personal statement because I am a non-trad student who has a pretty good back story....but I talked more about my current situation. I personally did mention how I am a stronger applicant this time without directly saying that I applied before. I applied to some of the same schools that I had last time, and so I would assume they would know anyhow!

Reactions: 1 user