Personal Statement for Reapplicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericado

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who are reapplicants, do the adcoms review the primary application, personal statement from the previous application cycle too, or just the most recent one?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

ericado said:
For those who are reapplicants, do the adcoms review the primary application, personal statement from the previous application cycle too, or just the most recent one?

Thanks

It depends on the school. If you applied their last year they may have saved your information and may refer back to it (but I don't know.) I would guess they put little emphasis on your previous app, but they will likely look at how you have improved since then. For the schools that you didn't apply to the previous year they cannot see your first app (unless I'm mistaken...)

It seems that they could - as everything is digital and we might all fit on a single hard-drive - but also quite unlikely.

Call 'em up and report back to us, will ya?

Members don't see this ad :)
dr.z said:
I had a feeling they wouldn't take their time at most places.

I doubt they take the time - they get thousands of applications.

Im not sure how AMCAS is but the texas application has a specific section for re-applicants, with a text box to explain how this application differs from previous years, so im guessing they dont look back on previous applications.

i don't think they re-review them, but i felt that a lot had changed about myself and my experiences, enough to warrant rehauling my PS.

ericado said:

Thanks

A former adcom told me that they do review your previous application to their school. I don't know if they would have access to your previous application if their school wasn't one that you originally applied to, but yes, if you are re-appling to a particular school, they do review it.

i know some schools at least save your app from last year (suny upstate has sent all their correspondence to last year's address... ugh). but, i doubt they consider your old essay when evaluating your new app. some schools have advisors who can look up your old application and tell you what needed improvement (again, suny upstate). so, keeping your application could be good in that sense.

When I re-interviewed at University of Cincinnati, the interviewer had not read my previous personal statement and seemed to know nothing about (nor care about) my previous application.

That said, definitely rework your PS. I threw my old one out and started from scratch, because obviously my "packaging" of myself wasn't working and didn't get me into medical school, so I felt like I had to try something different. So far it's paid off greatly (compare my 2005 vs. 2006 mdapplicant profile; nothing changed other than PS and timeframe).