Personal Statement for reapplicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dopaminesurge

My friends calls me Steve
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder to what extent I can recycle my personal statement. I'm literally leaving 2-3 paragraphs about my research nearly as they were last year. I mean, some stuff's trimmed down to make room for new clinical experience descriptions, but many sentences are word for word. Thoughts?

PS. Please don't send this to reapplicants. There's no one ever there, and every thread I've had moved there's died immediately. There are enough repplicants in preAllo.

Members don't see this ad.

When I reworked mine for this year (after not getting in last year), I kept a few things that I decided worked, cut a lot, reworded some. I don't think keeping some things word for word will hurt, but I would use this opportunity to do a major overhaul...

*hopes not to have to do a second overhaul*

Members don't see this ad :)
I think leaving certain parts the same are fine as long as you change a large portion of it.

This is my third application cycle (got accepted to one school this time, but still waiting on a few waitlists), and this year, I even received an invite from a school that did not even consider me for the previous two application cycles (I even kept the same essay for the secondary).

I basically kept the old PS intact with minor revisions, and added additional experiences, mentioned activities done in between application cycles. Mine was sort of biographical, so it worked best to describe what I did chronologically, and leave the first 3 paragraphs as is in my PS. So I guess this strategy can still work.

Anyway, good luck with your endeavors. :luck: